Discuss Cracking glaze months later in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi all. I've recently tiles a kitchen splashback with 300 X 100 X 8mm johnsons ceramic tiles onto a solid wall. 3 months later the customer calls me to say 2 tiles are cracked. Looking at the job I find 4 further cracked tiles but it's the glaze that's cracked. The cracks run in different directions.....like a crack in a windscreen. I thought it was the heat from the hh o but then found another one cracked away from the hob. I then remembered a job I did last year with the same tiles and went to look at it.....finding some tiles with the same issue. Walls were primed and adhesive was BAL SPF white. The cracks weren't there when I had completed the job. Any ideas. I'll try to add a pic.....but you'll need to zoom in. Thanks

IMG_20181108_185814.jpg

O

One Day

Did you breath near them?! :)

Serious answer - Johnsons 8mm (more like 6mm) are very weak tiles.
There are loads of instances of them fracturing simply from the stress of adhesive curing underneath.
I'd suggest that BAL SPF is too strong for the tiles and a super-rubbish ready mix would have been "gentler".

P

Perfect Tiling

Ha.....that's what I said to the supplier. I usually tell customers not to buy british tiles as they are usually crap. They were 8mm thought.....they used to be 10mm and I'm certain they were the Savoy range. The problem is.....who pays to redo it.....cos it's not my fault apart from me agreeing to take on the job and using good quality materials......apart from the tiles....which were customer supplied

W

WetSaw

If I'd fitted them I'd repair it. You had the opportunity to refuse to fit them. As said, use a dispersion adhesive and they'll probably be OK. Possibly too thick bed of bagged adhesive and a little shrinkage is enough to crack poor quality tiles.

J

J Sid

ok, I'll put it another way..... Did you sealer them?
is the problem happening near a wet area or cooking / steam area?

P

Perfect Tiling

I didn't seal the tiles as they weren't crazed. I've used crazed tiles many times and seal both before and after grouting.....but you wouldn't seal uncrazed ceramic tiles as nothing to seal!!!! Customer doesn't want the damaged tiles replaced as he says the others will probably go same way. Most tiles are above the hob and one above the toaster so heat probably to blame as well as crap tiles.

Reply to Cracking glaze months later in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks