Discuss Continuing 600 * 600 porcelain tiles tiles outside bi fold doors in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi , I’ve recently completed tiling the floor of a 30m2 orangery and finished upto the bi fold door system that runs the full length of the room . The customer originally wanted to create a patio area outside using Indian sandstone or similar slabs . Now he’s changed his mind and wants me to continue with the same porcelain tiles outdoors of which I’ll match up the tiles and grout lines and it will look really good . My question to you all is this ; he’s starting to prepare the outside ground and new patio area ASAP and wants the tiles down ASAP . Ive told him slab needs proper curing times of a day a mm .. but said he wants it tiled sooner and asked if there’s a faster method. He suggested something about a limestone crush type of bed/slab system that I can imdiatelly tile into ? I said I wasn’t familiar with tiling in this method. (I’ve been tiling 15 yrs ) but if there’s such a method I’d ask on this forum . What alternative methods have I got ? or can I just use a green screed flexible adhesive which I have heard about laying straight onto a 2 day old newly laid concrete slab ? Many thanks in advance, Steve

D

Dumbo

Also make sure it has a fall from the house . I believe the recommendation is 1in 20

Reaction score
Ok will research a pedestal system and talk to ditra technical team . Are you all saying then that I cannot let the builders lay a concrete slab with correct slope off away from house , and use a bal green screed flexible adhesive ?

D

Dumbo

Check with schluter but i think they say as soon as a screed is weight bearing you can tile with a normal s1 grade adhesive . So bo need for green screed adh

U

Unused Account 1

The temperatures have been very low in uk these last few years -10 ,make sure they put down correct ,i replaced about 30 tiles on two different outside jobs after the bad spell ,not my job so lucky ,done right done once

Reaction score
Yes I don’t want to have tiles pop up and fail. I’m actively getting answers and info with manufacturers of these different systems to fast track my tiling. As yet I’m still to call bal technical to ask how they can guarantee that their green screed tile adhesive will not fail . That seems to be how I’m getting replies on this forum . Not to go down that route / method ... I initially thought that should I use that method and the tiles fixed correctly that they shouldn’t fail and pop off after slab has fully cured or after a bad winter . Thanking you all for responses so far . And am still willing to listen to anyone else’s experiences on doing this . Steve

Reply to Continuing 600 * 600 porcelain tiles tiles outside bi fold doors in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks