Discuss Concrete panels on bathroom walls? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

One more question. I am fitting a wall hung toilet and vanity unit. What thickness Kerdi board would be best to use under Porcel-thin tiles?

Cheers
John..

I generally fit 18mm ply behind where the toilet will hang, just around the footprint of the toilet plus 20mm or so, so that the ply takes the weight of the toilet and not the backer board and tile.
If you’re going t sit the toilet on the tile and not cut tight around it, drill all your holes, do not cut out a diamond shape to accommodate pipe work.

B307F733-0AA4-4FEC-8D10-6F22317A65F3.jpeg

D

Dumbo

So do you not anything between tile and plywood other than adhesive and if not do you scrim the joints or anything like that .

Reaction score
Why does the Kerdi
I generally fit 18mm ply behind where the toilet will hang, just around the footprint of the toilet plus 20mm or so, so that the ply takes the weight of the toilet and not the backer board and tile.
If you’re going t sit the toilet on the tile and not cut tight around it, drill all your holes, do not cut out a diamond shape to accommodate pipe work.

View attachment 99063

Cheers, I will use 18mm ply. I have plenty. Then 19mm Kerdi board around it.
Cut a diamond shape ? How rough do you think I am :D:D

John..

O

Old Mod

So do you not anything between tile and plywood other than adhesive and if not do you scrim the joints or anything like that .
Yes I’ll tape joint Jerry, but look at it this way, you have two bloody great 10 inch bolts pulling the toilet and ply on to a frame, with just enough ply sticking out to sit on metal frame. Exactly where is it going to go? Drilled holes have a much higher chance of success than a sodding great hole with a pan stuck to it.
The point of it is that the ply will not crush at all, where’s as the same cant be said for backer boards can it. (Obviously depending two things, how accurately the plumber has secured the pan, and secondly, who exactly is going to be putting their full body weight on the pan. If the substrate flexes, so will the tile. And if anything does develop a leak, it’ll be behind the boarding anyway no matter what it’s made of.

Reaction score
I would of drilled the holes anyway, not just cut a chunk out. I will be taking my time doing it all. As you can probably guess I have done a fair amount of research on it all :D
It’s just a pain all my joinery tools are all pretty useless to help me out doing this type of work. Well apart from a laser level and a cordless drill.

John..

O

Old Mod

I would of drilled the holes anyway, not just cut a chunk out. I will be taking my time doing it all. As you can probably guess I have done a fair amount of research on it all :D
It’s just a pain all my joinery tools are all pretty useless to help me out doing this type of work. Well apart from a laser level and a cordless drill.

John..

Just but Cheap electroplated drill bits John from someone like @Pro Tiler Tools
Get some 6mm mdf or Kerdi board offcut, drill hole in that first and use as a template over tile.
Do not drill directly perpendicular to the tile, start at 45o with theedge if the drill, and slowly stand it up as you drill, then use sight oscillating movemet with your wrist. If you drill square, you’ll donthe drill bit in one hole. The cheap ones will last you the job. Tear a bit of sponge up and force it up inside drill bit, dip it in water and it’ll help keep it cool.

O

Old Mod

Thinking about it, it wasn’t tiles it was glass I was drilling :(
Thin porcelain behaves no different to glass in actual fact, a lot of the original tooling was derived from the glass industry, and we still use it now.
It’s just major brands make us believe we need their kit instead now :D

D

Dumbo

Yes I’ll tape joint Jerry, but look at it this way, you have two bloody great 10 inch bolts pulling the toilet and ply on to a frame, with just enough ply sticking out to sit on metal frame. Exactly where is it going to go? Drilled holes have a much higher chance of success than a sodding great hole with a pan stuck to it.
The point of it is that the ply will not crush at all, where’s as the same cant be said for backer boards can it. (Obviously depending two things, how accurately the plumber has secured the pan, and secondly, who exactly is going to be putting their full body weight on the pan. If the substrate flexes, so will the tile. And if anything does develop a leak, it’ll be behind the boarding anyway no matter what it’s made of.
What do you use to match the thickness of the ply as far as i am aware tbb doesnt come in 18 mm or am i missing something .

Reply to Concrete panels on bathroom walls? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks