Discuss Club Dancefloor - tiles going to be up to the job? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Craig

Hello everyone first time Iv posted but regularly use this when in need of some advice.

I mostly do domestic tiling. kitchens bathrooms, house floors. I have recently picked up a commercial job tiling a dance floor in a club. I'm slightly worried about how it will hold up with 200+ people dancing on it each night and constant vibrations. It there any extra precautions I should take to avoid cracking tiles/grout since it's a Dancefloor?

They want to use slate tiles 330x330 the area is about 20m x 18m. It's an old courtyard, tiling over paving slabs that have been down 20+ Years. (But will likely still have some movement) I'm using bal rapid set flexible and expansion joint @10m intervals and around edges.

Open to any suggestions/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance from your friend Craig.

C

Craig

I was originally just tiling all the toilets in porcelain. My disclaimer alarm started going off when I found out about the dance floor.

C

Craig

Is it uncalibrated?....they will be tripping all over the place when they do there ' hi ho silver lining ' dance at the end.
Haha! They are calabraited. So it should only be the bar staff to blame for excessive tripping

T

Time's Ran Out

If the slate are solid fixed you should be ok. However to tile direct to old paviours is the Unknown , sounds as though it's being done on the cheap. Only you by inspection can tell how solid the substrate is but your comments about 'some movement & disclaimer' gives the impression it's not an acceptable base.

C

Craig

If the slate are solid fixed you should be ok. However to tile direct to old paviours is the Unknown , sounds as though it's being done on the cheap. Only you by inspection can tell how solid the substrate is but your comments about 'some movement & disclaimer' gives the impression it's not an acceptable base.

The substraite seem solid and none of slabs move. Was more just thinking of slight moments in the long term due to heavy foot traffic and sound vibrations. Just don't trust them 100%. I would always rather explain the risks to the client upfront before commencing any work.

O

Old Mod

For me, slate is an bad choice and the substrate even worse!
I wouldn't want to do it either.
Dance floors need to be smooth non slipish and bloody solid as a rock.
Could you imagine the law suit that will hit the fixer if someone fell and broke themselves.
Certainly wouldn't be the venue that took the blame.

T

Time's Ran Out

They have raves in cowsheds and tents these days! Don't think the style is Strictley Come Dancing. In the '70's we used to dance on glass floors.
Doubt if tiler would be liable for any accidents.
Substrate is the problem .

O

Old Mod

Haha an illegal rave is something else.
If it's a derby and Joan club, I think it should be considered.
But that's only my opinion.
It's not my job, and it's not my risk.

A

Aston

They have raves in cowsheds and tents these days! Don't think the style is Strictley Come Dancing. In the '70's we used to dance on glass floors.
Doubt if tiler would be liable for any accidents.
Substrate is the problem .

oh come on john!!
are you seriously trying to tell me that when you were knocking out all those disco moves in the 70's, you never once caught your high heels on a proud ridge of slate???

don't try denying it because i have the evidence? Please excuse the accent on the vid,
you will not be able to understand it because it geordie :confused:

T

Time's Ran Out

Ed - the disco pubs in Catford (south east London) were lucky to have floorboards to dance on. Now the Orchid Ballrooms in Streatham - now that was a dance floor!
When I came back home to Newcastle the clubs I went to had flashing lights under the glass, and the girls were real class (tattoos all with correct spelling ) - fog on the Tyne was all mine!

Reply to Club Dancefloor - tiles going to be up to the job? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks