Discuss Clearing out dried tile adhesive between Tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

MrT

Hi

My builder didn't bother doing this, meaning I will have to.

What is the most effective way of clearing this out, as I have 28sqm to rectify.

Without doing this, don't know where the grout supposed to fit, so not too sure why this wasn't done.

Any advice appreciated would be great.

Cheers

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As Andy said above, don’t tackle this yourself ,due to potential damage to your tiles. Is it a floor or wall.?

Either way don’t get involved in it unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Reaction score
So your covering up his mistake with the setting out and making sure he is grouting correctly??
He certainly wouldn’t be my builder!!

If you are capable take out the adhesive with a multi tool, grout with an appropriate grout and charge the builder what you think your time is worth.

Or demand your floor be stripped and relayed square and with joints able to accept grout by a professional at his cost. !

Seriously - why settle for anything less??

M

MrT

It is a floor.

I have taken over and finished off the tiling. Has been a bit of a debacle.

Luckily I don't mind DIY.

T

Tommcd

Is it just the odd bit here and there or are the voids actually filled up with adhesive?

T

Tommcd

I think there's no fast safe way to do it. Personally if it was my own home I'd dampen the adhesive and slowly scrape it out with an old flat head screwdriver - it will be very tedious but this method will ensure you don't damage the tiles. If you choose a faster approach - like a multi tool/Dremel, practise first in an inconspicuous area. But if you chip the edge of a tile it'll bug you forever! Good luck

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
One of these grout removers are good as they don't chip the tile
mu46y2XvgpWNyyCStJjONhw.jpg

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not ideal but get that tool I posted - grind the cement down with it, vacuum the joints and go over with a sponge with warm water. Then use a stiff bristled brush to get any stubborn bits.

Reply to Clearing out dried tile adhesive between Tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks