Discuss Cleaning Travertine in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Hi All, A small swim spa has travertine coping and waterline tiles that are chalky white when dry. Not sure if it is the chlorine or something else. Is it a bad idea to use this type of stone around pools because of it's porosity? How should the problem be dealt with?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi, not chlorine generally, this will generally be salts that form from the lap water / sitting water that is continually evaporating , these then layer on to each other - which further down the line will almost produce a crust. If yours have not gone to far you can try an alkaline product- we have lithofin power clean -( other avalible to deal with salt) use this diluted 1-2 with an white emulsifying pad .

Do not be tempted to use an acidic product or lime scale remover as this will remove your stone as quick as the scale.

If the salts have built to far , I generally will remove these easily with a diamond pad on a flex machine, a local restorer could do this for you. Once removed and fully dry re- impregnate with a suitable impregnator , we have mn stain stop - other brands available. If still a dry - dusty finish , you could use a colour enhancer to lift the colour. These will then keep dirt,salt and water marks above the stone and you will then maintain them at there earliest form -you will then be able to remove easily with the hand pads and poss a bit product when required.

This is not a bad product for around a pool, you just need the right info to maintain it. You're impregnator will reduce most porosity,

If you have photos we can see what stage of salt ingress you are at.

craigy

TF
Reaction score
Hi, not chlorine generally, this will generally be salts that form from the lap water / sitting water that is continually evaporating , these then layer on to each other - which further down the line will almost produce a crust. If yours have not gone to far you can try an alkaline product- we have lithofin power clean -( other avalible to deal with salt) use this diluted 1-2 with an white emulsifying pad .

Do not be tempted to use an acidic product or lime scale remover as this will remove your stone as quick as the scale.

If the salts have built to far , I generally will remove these easily with a diamond pad on a flex machine, a local restorer could do this for you. Once removed and fully dry re- impregnate with a suitable impregnator , we have mn stain stop - other brands available. If still a dry - dusty finish , you could use a colour enhancer to lift the colour. These will then keep dirt,salt and water marks above the stone and you will then maintain them at there earliest form -you will then be able to remove easily with the hand pads and poss a bit product when required.

This is not a bad product for around a pool, you just need the right info to maintain it. You're impregnator will reduce most porosity,

If you have photos we can see what stage of salt ingress you are at.

Thanks, I would love to get these products but am in the US. are they or anything equivalent available here?
I did try diluted muriatic acid in one small spot with poor results. The spa is painted with epoxy under the waterline and has had scale build due to high ph though this comes right off with a brush.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi , lithofin is available in the US try google us .our contact in
Atlanta- +1 7706219777

also you will have aqua mix products poss available from the US

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said not everything will be applicable there. I just wanted to cross-link some related threads. :)

K

Kelly Steer

Absolutely right. Recently a fellow of mine (builder) asked me similar question and as far as I can tell due to some research, the important thing is to maintain it right and there will be absolutely no problem. Cheers

craigy

TF
Reaction score
OK, I finally bought 3 lithofin products. I had to wait till I drained the spa to do this. thats why its 5 months since the last post. I have mn power clean, color intensifier, and stain stop. I assume using them in that order is proper.I have a boars hair pad that was recommended for the power clean. I can mount that to a right angled grinder, I guess. I tried some power clean with the pad by hand with only slight results. The others, I will use Ufiber towels to apply. What would be the proper rpm for the pads? It doesn't seem too abrasive.

regards,
Craig

Reply to Cleaning Travertine in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks