Discuss Clean and tidy working in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

JON HUME

Morning all, a few tips would be appreciated here please -
I am just completing a few jobs for friends and family in build up to my course etc in January.
I have just tiled a work shop floor for my brother which was around 6m2.
I used Bal quick set adhesive and found I was washing out my mixing bucket regularly due to the last of the adhesive from each mix beginning to set. I was mixing up around half a bag at a time, which I was managing but needed to regularly wash out the remains.
I was lucky as there was a bit of waste land at the back of the workshop and an outside hose/tap so I could easily washdown etc.
I then started wondering how you would do this if working at somebody's house in a kitchen etc?
Any advise on clean working would be appreciated. Thanks

R

Rookery

Its a good idea to wash your tubs out between mixes. Any solids go in an empty addy bag then the wheelie bin and I pour the waste water behind shrubs in the garden explaining to the customer that mother nature will get rid of it in the soil. Never have a problem with that.

T

Time's Ran Out

I got asked by a kitchen/bathroom company to go back to a job and take the cow pat off a customers prize flowers!
The top water was emptied in the corner of a planter , I never put anything down drains anywhere.
Did they expect me to drive home with it swishing around in the back of my van!
We still do their work today but they know not to take the .... !

T

Time's Ran Out

What it did do was make me tell/ask where would you like me to empty the water?
You’d be surprised how many point to the drain!

Q

Qwerty

I will usually have a small gorilla tub inside with water & a microfibre cloth which I use to wipe down tiles/ clean grout joints. I will then use this water & a sponge between mixes to thoroughly wash out my adhesive trug. I will then pour the small amount of sludge water into a large gorilla tub outside. Over night this separates. I then pour away the clear (ish) water the next day and scoop the sludge into a black rubble bag and dispose of with used spacers, empty grout bags and silicone tubes. I usually double up used adhesive bags and use this for the tile offcuts.

I do it this way so I can bin the black rubble bag in the customers wheelie bin without it leaving a mess inside the bin, and it looks inconspicuous to bin men! I like to use the adhesive bags for offcuts as these can be deposited straight into the hardcore skip at the tip without separating it.

D

Dumbo

I will usually have a small gorilla tub inside with water & a microfibre cloth which I use to wipe down tiles/ clean grout joints. I will then use this water & a sponge between mixes to thoroughly wash out my adhesive trug. I will then pour the small amount of sludge water into a large gorilla tub outside. Over night this separates. I then pour away the clear (ish) water the next day and scoop the sludge into a black rubble bag and dispose of with used spacers, empty grout bags and silicone tubes. I usually double up used adhesive bags and use this for the tile offcuts.

I do it this way so I can bin the black rubble bag in the customers wheelie bin without it leaving a mess inside the bin, and it looks inconspicuous to bin men! I like to use the adhesive bags for offcuts as these can be deposited straight into the hardcore skip at the tip without separating it.
Our council now charges for hard-core

O

Old Mod

Use standard set adhesive. :D
I could definitely count on one hand how many bags of rapid I use a year.

I use plasterers buckets mainly.
One for my mixer.
One for clean water.
One for adhesive.
One for slops.

And one for the little boy who lives down the lane :D

As others, NEVER pour anything down the drain!
(When someone’s watching :))
Slowly pour off clear water next day.
Bag the sludge.
Empty adhesive bags, for tile pieces, be sure to use the adhesive first tho. :p
Mind you, I need massive adhesive bags nowadays, 3m tile pieces are not easily disposed of.
Always have a bucket of clean water and sponge close by to clean up tools, dropped adhesive or dirty hands.
Dust sheets wherever you intend to walk and put kit.
Use the waterproof backed ones, more peace of mind.
Clean shirt everyday, and polish your boots twice a week. :)

I

Italy

clean the job, it does not fit
in my duties. I'm not paid for that.
bagging everything and leave everything on the spot.
if I'm also paid to clean ..... I have the lake on hand.
then, next year, British will come on vacation and
they will cleanse it. :p

G

GoneGuy

As others said in the posts about bagging and draining water.
Also good to get a cheap vac to hoover up dirt and dust instead of sweeping it everywhere.
I also carry a roll of carpet protector to put down as well as dust sheets everywhere.

Reply to Clean and tidy working in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks