Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

2. ismoat Building Products

Discuss cement encaustic with epoxy? in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. kaharrison9

kaharrison9 Professional Tiler

Good evening all.
    Have laid a cement encaustic floor onto Ditra and wet tray.

All going well and just going through the process of sealing (4 at the moment)

Looking into the grouting and the customer wants white and with it been a wetroom then epoxy would be the norm.

Has anybody used epoxy with encaustic or can see any possible issues?

Many thanks.

Kevin

2. Waluigi

Waluigi Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Might be worthwhile contacting a company like Ca’Pietra and asking them. I’m quite keen to know the answer to this too as I have a white grout job coming up with Encaustic. If I find out before you, I’ll let you know.

3. kaharrison9

kaharrison9 Professional Tiler

Ive decided on epoxy - white and wetroom and I spoke with Mapei today who fully agreed.
    My experience is these tiles are unpredictable where water is involved and I wouldn't want the risk of water/cement grout, leeching side wards.
    I pre - sealed the face and the coloured part of the side twice before I started and only handled the sides.
    The water from the wet cutter caused stains so I turned the pump off and dry cutted.
    Light seals with a cloth, rather than saturate with a sponge - I've had to replace 3 tiles where the sealer in the grout joint has soaked side wards and stained.
    I managed to get the falls on the wet tray with these hexagonal tiles without cutting the falls which was a massive relief.

• Like Like x 1
  4. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Wet tray with encaustics?
    Very brave! Definitely epoxy now then.