Discuss Career change needed, Kent S/E London area. in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good morning people,
So I’ve been lurking in the background reading the forum posts and decided to ask for some advice. I know you have probably heard this a thousand times however...
I’ve been considering a change of career for some time and feel if I don’t do something now I never will.
I am currently employed with the civil service and to say I’m not happy would be a massive understatement.
I have done some tiling (only d.i.y) which was okay and used to do a fair bit of plastering and artexing too.
So onto my question/query, is the work out there ? I’m based just outside the Bromley area Kent border.
I’m trying to gather as much information as possible before I take the plunge and end up spend a lot of money on training, a van and associated equipment,
Your comments are eagerly anticipated.

Warren

W

Waluigi

the best route would be to take a massive pay cut and start training with someone who is time served.

A tiling course will give you an idea of the trade but you can’t really do a course and then hop into a van and start your own business. It takes years to learn the trade properly.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There is plenty of work out there at the moment, but not for someone who will be learning the trade at the expense of paying customers.

You need to start from the bottom, working with someone who knows the trade inside out.

Pay won’t be great to begin with, I think apprentice pay is under £200 week.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,
I fully understand and also expect to be starting at the bottom, the reason for the course would be to give me a fair introduction to the trade.
I am intending to do one that will provide me with a city and guilds certification/qualification and NVQ’s at some point afterwards.

As for taking a massive pay cut, I’m not on a massive salary so no worries there.

D

Dumbo

Maybe we could swap jobs so I can get holiday, sick pay and one those nice civil service pensions . Oh and i heard talk about something called a bank holiday

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have worked for myself for nearly 25 years and the reality of working for yourself is very different to what most imagine.

When I finish doing my 8am to 5pm on job hours, most evenings I go and look at a job or two, get home and help get my two kids to bed, then at around 8pm have my dinner then spend the next couple of hours pricing the work I have looked at.

Plus get in a solid hour or so on this great forum!!

Get up the next day and do it again and again..

If I don’t work, I don’t earn, so I don’t get paid.

No pension, builders will tuck you up as soon as look at you, chasing payments from clients weeks after payment was due, the list goes on...

Others will add their views I’m sure.

But would I change it, not a chance!!!!

W

Waluigi

When I say a massive pay cut, I’m talking about minimum wage and even then I’d lose money by employing someone for the first few months.

I pay my lad £25 to £30 per day. He can cut tiles perfectly and tank a shower without an issue. He’s 16.

That said, he’s earning £80 tomorrow. Price work on a Different job. He works for me occasionally.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When I say a massive pay cut, I’m talking about minimum wage and even then I’d lose money by employing someone for the first few months.

I pay my lad £25 to £30 per day. He can cut tiles perfectly and tank a shower without an issue. He’s 16.

That said, he’s earning £80 tomorrow. Price work on a Different job. He works for me occasionally.

They don’t know they’re born these days.

£40 a week for my first year, £75 a week for my second. Didn’t earn a full wage until I started my 5th year.

Imagine telling a school leaver that today!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe we could swap jobs so I can get holiday, sick pay and one those nice civil service pensions . Oh and i heard talk about something called a bank holiday

I’d gladly swap jobs with you, it would make a change to go to work and not be worried about being assaulted, having a bucket of urine thrown at you or being stabbed, all of which plus more has happened to me.
The bank holidays off.. I’ve worked every Christmas, boxing and New Years Day for the last 6 years and every other weekend for the last 15, but it’s the pension that’s the real prize, I have to work till I’m 68 to draw from it. (If I’m still alive)

I understand that being self employed is a total change but i did it before, it was very rewarding hence wanting to do it again.

W

Waluigi

They don’t know they’re born these days.

£40 a week for my first year, £75 a week for my second. Didn’t earn a full wage until I started my 5th year.

Image telling a school leaver that today!

Exactly the same amount I was on when I first started.

8 years later it was a tad higher.

Times were good back then. The money was incredible leading up to the Great Recession.

T

Time's Ran Out

I’ve been tiling 45 years and it’s the best trade in the world!
Should you change - NO!
When you retire your pension from the civil service will be enough to enjoy your later life. My dad retired from the Civil Service at 59, moved to Spain and had a great life till 89 - 30 years of full pension in the sun.
Me - no mortgage, a property worth a little bit, a bit of land to develop and a trade that will allow me to pick and choose a little job each month, but I’ll still have to work to match my old mans take home.
The grass is not always greener .
It’ll take you years to match your wages now, and unless your good/decent more years to build up a reputation.
But as I said - this is the best trade in the world!

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve been tiling 45 years and it’s the best trade in the world!
Should you change - NO!
When you retire your pension from the civil service will be enough to enjoy your later life. My dad retired from the Civil Service at 59, moved to Spain and had a great life till 89 - 30 years of full pension in the sun.
Me - no mortgage, a property worth a little bit, a bit of land to develop and a trade that will allow me to pick and choose a little job each month, but I’ll still have to work to match my old mans take home.
The grass is not always greener .
It’ll take you years to match your wages now, and unless your good/decent more years to build up a reputation.
But as I said - this is the best trade in the world!
You must have been a late starter

T

Time's Ran Out

Had an education and worked in International Banking till I was 20!
Then started an apprenticeship on £12.50 a week - could have retired 10 years ago a millionaire if I’d stayed in London.
But would I have been happy - too bloody true I would!

Reply to Career change needed, Kent S/E London area. in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks