Discuss Can you help with tiling above bath in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Brob90

Hi all

I am currently looking to tile bath to ceiling in my house as I'm installing a shower above the bath. I've tiled floors but this would be my first wall.

Current setup.. sheet of plywood behind 12.5mm moisture resistant plasterboard. It is screwed into the ply all over the shop and has the thinnest skim possible (built in the last 3 years).

The issue is my other half has selected some really nice tiles.. 600x150 10.5mm porcelain, so they weigh roughly 23-24kg/m2 then plus the 4kg/m2 for adhesive and it ends up a bit over the weight limit for skimmed plasterboard.

I am trying to run this on a bit of a budget at the moment, but wanted to get your advise on what you think would be best to do in this situation.

Thank you in advance

F

Flintstone

Hello, as your already aware your exceeding the Weight limit by almost 50%. It's your home and your decision if you want to risk it.
Are you planning on water proofing the walls with there being a shower there ?

B

Brob90

My first thought is to reboard with moisture resistant plasterboard and tank it with aquaseal or equivalent. Do you think this would be ok?

It would also be great to get opinions on any other prep work, adhesive and grout.

O

Old Mod

That will work just fine, I'd advise Ardex WPC as a tanking kit, it's ideally suited to a diy project and fairly difficult to get wrong if you follow the instructions.
Just wear long sleeves if you apply with a roller. :)
(Unless you already shave your arms!haha)
A standard set S1 adhesive and anti bacterial grout.

B

Brob90

That will work just fine, I'd advise Ardex WPC as a tanking kit, it's ideally suited to a diy project and fairly difficult to get wrong if you follow the instructions.
Just wear long sleeves if you apply with a roller. :)
(Unless you already shave your arms!haha)
A standard set S1 adhesive and anti bacterial grout.

Thats awesome. I'll check the ardex tanking kit out! Thanks for the recommendation!

Good to know I was thinking on the right track! Now just to fit it all in the car haha

Reply to Can you help with tiling above bath in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks