Discuss Builder wants to inject apoxy resin in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TeaAndToast

Hello,

We got a new build and quite a few floor tiles in the main bathroom and en-suite rock back and forth under foot, thus the grout has cracked in many areas. After a little research I thought it was a lack of plywood base as it feels springy under foot and a few tiles aren't level. But the builder assures me there is ply down as he has seen it and its just that the tiler didn't use a rubber base.

He wants to inject an epoxy resin to fill the voids. I spoke to a tiler without seeing it who feels it should be lifted, and some of the older posts on here advised against using epoxy resin.

Are there times where this won't work and what do I look for if a tile is lifted for inspection?

Thanks for the read

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

If a few of the tiles aren’t level now, putting epoxy resin under them won’t make them level after.
That procedure was tried with uncoupling membrane that debonded but I believe it was an extremely expensive exercise.
Yours just sounds like poor subfloor preparation and needs removal and replacing.

W

WetSaw

it feels springy under foot

the tiler didn't use a rubber base.

You've answered your own question. If there's deflection ( bounce ) in the floor, tiles aren't going to survive long.

I've never heard of a rubber base for tiling on to so I've no idea what the builder means by that.

T

TeaAndToast

Rubberised adhesive to allow for movement.

Some are the tiles are a fraction high and low. Not really noticeable to the eye but if drag your foot you'll notice. I dont want to be over picky either.

F

Flintstone

Get it all up and redone correctly! There’s no miracle cure in a tube I’m afraid, despite the builders wishful thinking

T

TeaAndToast

Thats what im thinking. Is there any signs i could point to as this not the correct option?

W

WetSaw

Put a full glass of water on the floor then walk around. If any spills out the floor isn't solid enough.

T

TeaAndToast

I dont actually think it would spill, its just slight, but is gradually spreading.

Reply to Builder wants to inject apoxy resin in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks