Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. ismoat Building Products

Discuss British Standards no longer available at Newcastle Library.... But here's another way. in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Paul C.

Paul C. Professional Tiler

Ola one and all.

I have been trying for the past week to get onto the British Standards via Newcastle Library. When I first spoke to them, the were looking at renewing the subscription shortly.

I have tried again today and it still isn't working. I have called them again today and unfortunately, the library have decided they can no longer cover the cost of the subscription..... So......

Access to British Standards is no longer available through Newcastle Library.

Watch this space whilst I see if there is another way to view them, but looks like they may be available through other libraries. So I'll have a look through them and see what I can find out.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Paul C.

Ok.... I have checked Liverpool, Lancashire County, Bolton, Staffordshire and the British Library to name a few. Hard to navigate. Pain in the arse. No likey!

Then I tried going through Manchester Library. This is instant and far simpler than Newcastle. You don't even need to sign up! Bonus!

Go to Manchester Library: Libraries | Manchester City Council - http://www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries

Then navigate through these menu's:
    Scroll down to:
    upload_2017-6-14_15-39-2.png

upload_2017-6-14_15-39-31.png

upload_2017-6-14_15-40-1.png

4. (when you get to this page, store it as a bookmark for quicker access, before clicking)
    upload_2017-6-14_15-40-35.png

After clicking the last link it will take you to BSOL.
    Check the top left of the page and you should see this:
    upload_2017-6-14_15-43-20.png
    That's the sign that you are signed in and have access to view. You may now crack on!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 6
  3. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I Think that if the tile association had any real value to the small (but numerous and oft-forgotten) tilers like us, they would include FULL access to all relevant British standards with association membership.

Good job finding this though!

• Like Like x 2
  4. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

If we all chip in we could buy @Dan@Dan a copy and it would be available to all members all the time!
    It could however be free to all members with over 12000 posts!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I suspect copyright and licence means no sharing.

(Although anyone with a certain knowledge of certain file sharing technologies can get copies freely online...)

• Like Like x 2
  6. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Thinking more about asking the tea boy the questions, so no sharing just replies.

• Like Like x 4
  7. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

• Like Like x 1
  8. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Just tried it, simple as it gets! Well done Paul.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Paul C.

Why thank you kind sir. Awfully nice of you to say :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. MissTiler

MissTiler TTA Tile Fixer of the year winner 2017 Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member JOTM Winner

Many thanks for that, great stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 3_fall

Thought you had access Sharon as a member?

12. Dan

Dan TilersForums.co.uk Est.2006 Staff Member NOT a Tiler

I'll update the blogs and stuff asap!

Well done matey.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MissTiler

MissTiler TTA Tile Fixer of the year winner 2017 Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member JOTM Winner

I can buy them for half price £114

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Dan

Dan TilersForums.co.uk Est.2006 Staff Member NOT a Tiler

They used to be free with TTA a couple of years ago.