Discuss Brick Slips - should have asked a tiler and not a brickie in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AlexJones

Hi All

I got some slips laid at the front of my house and I’m not happy with the job - some of the rows are a bit off, and when I challenged the brickie he said the slips are not cut straight and couldn’t be laid straight so I told him to stop the job. My assumption is despite brick slips being bricks the application is more relevant to a tiler than a brickie.

A few of my friends and family think that I’m getting to fussy about the house renovation I’m doing but I have a hang up about straight lines!! For me they need to be straight and level, and even though the slips I have are sort of rustic and they are not cut perfectly square I would have thought when laying you would need to factor that in with maybe some bespoke spacers.

Can you guys have a look at the pcis and let me know your thoughts and any ideas on corrections. The slips were laid with a rapid set flexi adhesive. If I were to take the slips off do you think the adhesive could be chiselled off cleanly back to a smooth surface of the original bricks so I could start again? Adhesive was laid with a 10mm notched trowel.

Thanks

Alex
E882AAA9-91C7-40BB-A726-6DAC5DAA2D7A.jpeg

CF2A4E2F-17C3-4C77-9656-37B45566DFEB.jpeg 51430C80-C410-40F6-A8A3-D6F916562389.jpeg 494DD709-39E7-4736-B27C-421E97B4A4AE.jpeg

A

AlexJones

I don’t understand how people can screw this up? The brickie told me he used to lay them on new builds and was familiar with the process, I told him shouldn’t I get a tiler instead, but he said this would be easy for him (I can see why!).

What’s frustrating is I should have stuck with my instincts and did this myself - tried to save time at my end but has costed me more time

Would knocking the slips off plus hacking off the adhesive be worth it, or do you think I will be left with an uneven surface which would prove to difficult to relay?

Q

Qwerty

Brickies do everything by eye, maybe by string with a fleeting glance of a level if you're lucky!!!

F

Flintstone

Not good. I think you will struggle to clean the all up with a chisel you will probably need to mechanically sand it, grind it

P

Perry

I don't think the adhesive would be much of a problem as it should be a solid bed. But the slips you have are quite soft so would be a little work. Yes the top of the slips should level. And he has used spacers so that tells me he doesn't know what he doing. Plus the pictures.

Reply to Brick Slips - should have asked a tiler and not a brickie in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks