Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss brick pattern advice in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
any done many jobs where brick pattern was specified?

1 centering it up. one row will have more than half a tile at the end of the wall but the next row up will have less than half a tile or even a thin peice which would then be every other row;.

2 also wondering about going round corners. would you the center the next wall out and have the end cuts touching the wall with larger end cuts on the wall you have just done.

3 The next walls tile end cuts are more than likely not going to mirror that of the tile end cuts of wall you have just done will it matter.

thanks for any help

OP
F

faithhealer

I wouldn't centre the wall if you are left with silly cuts, walls look better when they 'wrap' around. This is where it looks like the tile has been cut to length and the off cut follows on round the corner. Not neceesary the off cut but you don't want long and short pieces meeting in the corner

OP
R

Rav daniels

If u have to do it like that, make sure you start the next wall with the opposite of what u just finished with , so if you finish with your larger cut on the bottom row, make sure you end up with your smaller cut next to it, looks bad when you have 2 small cuts next to each other, so as faith healer says wrap around

OP
M

Mike

any done many jobs where brick pattern was specified?
1 centering it up. one row will have more than half a tile at the end of the wall but the next row up will have less than half a tile or even a thin peice which would then be every other row;.
2 also wondering about going round corners. would you the center the next wall out and have the end cuts touching the wall with larger end cuts on the wall you have just done.
3 The next walls tile end cuts are more than likely not going to mirror that of the tile end cuts of wall you have just done will it matter.
thanks for any help
try make sure your walls are flat, they need to be good for brick bond. normal tile will follow a poor wall but 'bricks' will kick out real bad

OP
W

White Room

Check the tiles as well, if they have a slight bow in them your've got no chance to make it look right

OP
J

John the tile

thanks folks.

i like the idea of startin on the window wall. can you explain. if i center the window ill more than likely end up with small cuts either side of the window whatever setting out i do..?

thanks

OP
P

peckers

thanks folks.

i like the idea of startin on the window wall. can you explain. if i center the window ill more than likely end up with small cuts either side of the window whatever setting out i do..?

thanks
you can move your start point a quatrer/third/or half a tile etc to see where is the best place to start and which is most pleasing on the eye!
remember that the tile above will finish with a different cut then the one below so check for this row too :thumbsup:

OP
D

Davesax

With brick bond and small tiles you'll have to just minimise the size of the small cut at the window- and then check the cuts at the walls , you only have so many options . You half your possibilities with brick bond - it's difficult to say without measurements / tile size.
Cheers

OP
J

John the tile

yeah thanks.

the tiles are pretty big. 250 by 400.

i was hoping to start smack ontop of the bath. but the window wall is not one of the bath walls but, it is the first wall you see when you walk in the bathroom. i get what your saying i was actualy thinkin you could only move the tiles half each way, but yeah i can do a third if i have to what ever pleases the eye best.

so when i do the window wall first then when i come to do next wall at the internal. i was thinking of measurin g the cut of my tiles and making up the difference of a full tile onto the next wall.

OP
P

peckers

heres some pics off brick pattern including window and internal corners hopes this helps:thumbsup:

Attachments

• ebay 023.jpg
    ebay 023.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 181
  • ebay 022.jpg
    ebay 022.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 164
  • ebay 021.jpg
    ebay 021.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 145

finlay

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
all good advice above take some time to work out all your options then choose the one you feel looks the best.

Reply to brick pattern advice in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock