Discuss Boxing in pipes with backer board then tiling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I've had a kitchenette installed which means there's a couple more pipes running through the bathroom above earlier boxing, which was glossed (badly) and now looks dreadful.

The bathroom is mostly tiled with white gloss 148s (unknown brand; white grout), with end-of-line green/grey 340s as floor tiles (grey grout).

My plan is to extend the boxing-in to cover the new run, using tile backer board and a couple more battens.

- Tile backer board - is the Prowarm (or similar) stuff off eBay* okay for this? Is 6mm thick enough for boxing in?

- I believe I'll need primer for the backer board, once it's cut to fit. Any preference between Everbuild Aquaseal, and Rocatex Acrylic Primer please? Or are they both iffy? (Read some negative stuff about Everbuild on here but can't really justify buying and wasting most of a litre of Tilemaster/Mapei.)

- I'll need to access the pipes as the stopcocks are there, so some cover sections will lift up. How do you make the grout joins look natural please?

- Other bits I'll need: 6m notched trowel, float, 2mm spacers, spirit level, mallet, tile cutter, sponges...What am I forgetting please?

- Going by reviews on here, I'm planning to tile with Tilemaster Ultimate Adhesive and Grout 3000, both grey.

- Tiles - I need ~40 white gloss 148s for the vertical sections, hopefully matching them up with the existing grout lines, and a green for the shelf/horizontal covers (~20).
Johnsons Prismatics, if I can find them in 148s instead of 150s.
If I can't, can you suggest a similar budget tile please?

- I can't currently afford to re-tile the whole room, as the substrate is chipboard and removing the tiles will probably mean replacing the walls too (it's a '60s timber build with cedar shingles on the exterior). Plus, I have a feeling I don't want to know what the council cowboys did when they installed these tiles/wetroom for my Gran nearly 15 years ago.

- However, to freshen it up, I'm planning on regrouting the whole bathroom in the near future. Should I do this before or after the above? Will grey grout look odd next to white?

- If I had a professional to do the above, how much approximately is it likely to cost please? (There are no forum-registered tilers in this area - checked already.) I also have a small kitchen to tile <50 tiles on two walls which I was going to do myself. However, once I've bought all the tools and other bits at retail, it may not be that much more expensive!

Thanks for any advice. I do have some pics, but I'll need to upload them from my phone.

*living where I do and having no transport, I'm constrained to delivery, or whatever I can buy in a small town and fit in a backpack.

T

Time's Ran Out

Seems like an awful lot of work for a bit of boxing tiling in a council house!
Could you not ask the council to do it?

Q

Qwerty

@dottigirl you are welcome to email, WhatsApp or text the photos over to me and I will post them up for you. My details are in the 'signature' underneath this message (turn your phone landscape if you don't see it)

Reaction score
Seems like an awful lot of work for a bit of boxing tiling in a council house!
Could you not ask the council to do it?
Oh, it's not a council house! Never has been either - it was built for my grandparents to retire back in the '60s. The only council involvement was ripping out the old bathroom and replacing it with a wetroom when my gran was in her 90s - she qualified for some form of grant.
My mother inherited, and when she passed away, it went to my sisters and me. It's proven impossible to sell due to the aforementioned build, so I've moved in.
(I probably would qualify for council assistance, but it's actually nice to have something to do that I feel I can.)

Reaction score
It was the council cowboys you mentioned that threw me off the horse!
Good luck.
Thanks.
My mother partially tiled over the wetroom floor that they installed, because water was pooling all over the bathroom rather than going down the drain. It's still a bit of a problem as there's not much of a lip and the drain blocks easily. I also have a feeling water is seeping along under the tiles, but I'm trying to not think about that...:eek:

Reply to Boxing in pipes with backer board then tiling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks