Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Black Quartz Floor Tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I had a builder lay these tiles for me but i grouted them with black grout.

I cleaned off the excess grout with clean water and a sponge and cleaned off the haze with a soft cloth. But some of the tiles seem to have gone very dull in certain areas, as if the haze hasn't been cleaned off correctly, even though it has. Done anyone know why this has happened and if there is anything i can do to rectify this problem.

thanks.

OP
B

brian c

Did you seal them with an impregnator?these tiles normally need sealed and this could be your problem.

OP
D

doug boardley

it does sound as tho' they may have absorbed the water, if this is the case, it would need to expunge before applying a sealer imo

OP
D

Damian99

No they were not sealed beforehand. I have sent for some sealer(seems a bit late now) is there anything i can do to rescue the problem areas or is my wife going to give me grief for ever more?

OP
B

brian c

As Doug says let them dry out and then try sealing them but imo they should have been sealed after fixing.

OP
D

Damian99

ok thanks. Is there anything else i can use on them after sealing then to try and bring some of the shine/sparkle back to them.

Also what should i use to keep them clean on a regular basis.

Thanks for advice

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

DHTiling

You need to remove the grout from the tiles pores first before sealing....this will be why they have gone dull..

rub your hand across the tile.....dose it feel slightly coarse compared to the ones that are shiny..?..

OP
D

Damian99

Not particularly, they just look as though the polished finish has come off(if you can understand what i mean) The dull areas don't really feel any different to touch.

OP
D

Damian99

If you can't tell from that photo i can take a better one but it wil have to be tomorrow now before i can do that. I can't find the digital camera.

There is quite a bad dull area in the centre of the tile.

Attachments

• Photo-0232.jpg
    Photo-0232.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 144
OP
D

Damian99

Ah right what do you recommend? Once i have used this do i need to bother with a sealer?

OP
D

DHTiling

Lithofin cement away...follow the instructions.....if this works then leave to dry..then use lithofin stainstop...

But be pre-warned....they might not come clean....was the grout flexible..?...some times it's the polymers embedded in the tile surface dulling it...

I have heard LTP grimex is good but i have not used it...

Anybody else used it..?

Reply to Black Quartz Floor Tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock