Discuss Black Matt 1950s tile 150x150mm in the Discontinued Tile Finding | List Spare Tiles area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Anna

TF
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find this tile? We have a 1950s bungalow that we are restoring and have black Matt tiles on the window sills. They are 150mm x 150mm.

Thank you for reading.

Anna

IMG_1656.JPG

Anna

TF
Reaction score
Thank you Andy, I've ordered some samples. Our tiles have a smooth slightly shiny surface...not glossy just smooth to the touch. Would these still be right? Anna

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Being a natural product Quarry tiles go smooth and slightly shiny from years of wiping them...!
You have obviously been keeping up with the housekeeping.... :)
If there not suitable match then reclaimed quarries would be the only answer... But black reclaimed quarries are a bit like hens teeth..

T

Tile Shop

If you haven't ordered the samples already, don't. First hand experience of the Aragon and they are a fairly rough texture...... the current batch also has a very slight brown hint to it so I can't see it being a good colour match. (and the round edges are crap). Sorry but had to be honest.

If they are a smooth finish, my money would be on them being either a very old Dorset Black or the Platts Ferrolite 152. If they have a very slight texture, could be worth looking at the Ruabon Black. These will be much closer. What thickness are they, and is 150 the exact measurement?

Anna

TF
Reaction score
Hello, thank you all for the replies. They are 150mm square and about 12mm thick. I've ordered a sample of the Dorset tiles too. Fingers crossed. They don't have to be identical as they will be on separate window sills .

Reply to Black Matt 1950s tile 150x150mm in the Discontinued Tile Finding | List Spare Tiles area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks