Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Black Limestone or Sandstone in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I need advice about the patio, I'm not sure if black limestone and Indian Sandstone are the same things? I had a builder that did new patio and on the contract agreement, builder and I agree to have Indian Sandstone. After a few weeks, I noticed the colour starting to fade out to light grey and I have been using acid based cleaner. I took a close look and realise that my patio is not Indian Sandstone as I guess after doing a few research on the internet. If I was told that patio is limestone, then I wouldn't not touch acid based cleaner.

On the other hand, if the builder use the wrong paving that is not want I want, does it mean I have a good case against the builder? I want Sandstone, not Limestone because I want to avoid high maintenance with limestone!

Sorry about my written english because I'm deaf and if I'm not making any sense, please let me know and I'm happy to write again.

Many thanks

photo.jpg photo-1.jpg photo-2.jpg photo-3.jpg photo-4.jpg

OP
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

looks more like a slate than a lime stone .indian sand stone would have done the same cleaned with acid probaly worse indian sand stone is not sutaball for out side patio in the uk the frost will break it down what care info were you give by the surplyer

OP
D

DHTiling

Textured Indian black limestone and the acid had damaged it I'm afraid.

You could try a colour enhancer but it will probs not go back to dark black.

Call LTP and speak to them about a solution, but yes that is limestone.

OP
S

Saltrock75

Thank for getting back to me and I did ask if the slabs is slate and was told it not slate, indian sandstone. It seem to me look like Kota Black Limestone. I wasn't told anything about the care info but was advice to have a sealer on. they didn't clean up the cement stains after filling in the grouts and been raining a lot recently. I wonder if the cement stains damange the patio and edges too over a couple of weeks? I have been trying to get builder come back and clean up the cement stain but he too busy and will get back to me when he is free?!

How do you tell the different between a slate, limestone and indian sandstone? Found this from Pavingexpert website about cleaning, see below...

[h=4]Stone paving[/h] Most granites, basalts, porphyry, slates and quartzite seem to be unaffected by acid or acid-based cleaners, but process with caution and test a small discreet area first. York Stone, Pennant Stone and Liscannor are variable: some pieces will exhibit no reaction to acid or acid-based cleaners, while others will turn orange. It's related to the iron content, and as this varies from stone to stone, it's best to test before committing larger areas to acid cleaning

Indian sandstones, Limestones, Marble and Travertine: avoid like the plague. Many of the paler Indian sandstones exhibit a violent rusty reaction to acid, although the extent of the reaction does vary from stone to stone and from quarry to quarry. Limestone is dissolved by hydrochloric acid - one of the definitive tests used by geologists to confirm a particular rock as a limestone is the effervescent reaction to hydrochloric acid. Marble and travertine are metamorphic limestones, so they, too, are best kept well clear of acids.

OP
S

Saltrock75

Pls help me, today I had the builder came over after waiting so long. He firmly told me that is an Indian Stonestone but i doubt it. Is there any Indian sandstone are like in thr pictures I uploaded? Need more feedback. Thanks

OP
S

Saltrock75

Is there anyone that can come and inspect the patio, write a report to confirm the type of stone? One person came over and ask if sealer will help, but he recommend to replace the slabs first, then seal and joint grout lasted.

OP
S

Saltrock75

Thanks and how do I prove to the builder that it is a limestone, not sandstone? I did ask him where the invoice, he didn't have it.

OP
D

DHTiling

Just to say, some merchants will call it it sandstone, but it is fact a Limestone...

OP
P

PHG Dave

You have already found out how to prove that it is limestone - if you put a drop of acid onto it and it effervesces (fizzes/goes white due to small bubbles in the acid) then it is limestone. Indian sandstones will not react in this way.

There is a black sandstone called Sagar Black but it looks quite a lot different to your pictures - see below
sagar-black-sandstone-250x250.jpg

Reply to Black Limestone or Sandstone in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock