Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Best Tile Cutter 2009? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
go for a sigma , monty or the rubi ti cutter, dont go for the rubi ts range as they are very limited, ie you want a cutter with a moveable breaker.. i have owned or used all these cutters plus the rubi tx range but not the Ti and the best are the monty and the sigma... p.s read daves review on the rubi ti .

I am bathroom fitter. I need to buy new cutter too.
Definitely able to cut 600 mm tiles and strong enough to cut porcelain.
For pro/often use but not dayly bases.

What is the limitation of TS?
Is TS plus any better appart from breaking power? I though I would buy this one.Seems to be good enough for every job.

TI looks nice but
1)does not still have case in yeaar 2009 april and it is needed to my opinion for transportation(things can fall and so...)
2)am warried about that it might be too strong for some ceramic tiles- crashing them (as statet by others)

Can you help?
Thanks

A

albyshellshear

its a bit like saying who is your fav singer no one has the same taste thank god i use a ts 60 it suits me after all the cutter the one with his\her hand on the handle lol

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i own sigma , monty and rubi and they all have their weakness's and strengths, if you could take the best out of all 3 then you would have the best cutter ...:thumbsup:

J

jwatson

I use the ti-66s and find this a great tool to use esspecially on diamond set floors i would recomend getting a smaller cutter too. can be a bit to big in a small bathroom

P

Peter

Posted this on another thread, but will post it here again. My bias has always been with Sigma's.

Feel like I can update this a bit more accurately as the last few days I've been using various cutters.

Was working with another tiler yesterday and he produced a TS50 Plus out of his van. Decided that I'd give it an open mind and use his cutter to see how I found it. Both working in a large bathroom together. Seen the appeal of it and found it easy enough to use but it had a few problems. It seemed to struggle to cut 10mm off a tile. Wasn't sure if it was just me but the fella I was working with had to use the nippers for it too, the Rubi just didn't seem to want to break them cleanly. The other main downfall was that if you were cutting a U shape check, on the sigma you'd scribe the back line, run the other two lines up the wetsaw, and then put the check back on the cutter and break the handle above the scribe to remove the centre piece. Didn't seem to be an option to remove the centre piece on the Rubi because the breaker was fixed to the top - no use if you want to make a break elsewhere on the tile. A decent machine but definately wouldn't have rated it as highly as the sigma. The other tiler who'd swore by Rubi for years even seemed to have a bit of difficulty on stuff where the Sigma wouldn't have had any trouble. Not sure if it was a lower spec cutter or if his just wasn't well serviced so wouldn't base my whole Rubi experience on that one day. Wouldn't snub my nose up at a TS50+ but definately over rated for what it was, in my opinion of course.

Then today, was working with 120x60 porcelain and needed to borrow a cutter which would take the size. Borrowed a Sigma which was the height of me, however this was a Klick Klock style handle which I'd never used before. It was a very capable cutter and had a very good quality feel to it. The klick klock system worked much better than the conventional pull handle breaker would have done in the situation. Thought it would have been a gimmick but it definately gave you more breaking pressure than any other style of cutter I've used. Rated it highly but would only use the Klick Klock system for very heavy/strong tiles, felt it would be rather slow and tedious if you were using it as an every day method.

Overall, still reckon the Sigma pull series have it in the bag. Yet to use a Montolit cutters so shall reserve my judgement on them until the time. From talking to the other tiler about the price of the Rubi gear, the Sigma's seemed considerably cheaper too.

H

hillhead

i lent a guy my sigma 3D 93cm last night,he rang me this evening saying he couldn't believe how good it was ! 800x800 10mm thick porcelain not a prob.

P

Peter

They're the business- was able to cut 15mm from the 120x60 porcelain longways. Mr Rubi would have been getting the nippers out of his box. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Graham Bright

Hi Guys. I have been offered a good deal on a TI700. My understanding is they are exactly the same as the TX 700 but a pull rather than a push scribe. They were originally made for the Italian Market but found their way over here.

Is there any real benefit having a pull or push scribe in your opinions? Or is it just a case of what you are used to...

I got a 600x600 porelain job coming up very shortly and have to have the moving breaker and 1000Kg is plenty power :)

A

albyshellshear

never used one but should imagine once you get used to it you will find it a breeze the more you use somthing the more comfortable it becomes:drool5:

Y

yimiyuma

:thumbsup:

hello it pardons my curiosity, that of Davidelcatalan, is because you are of Spain, I I am of Seville, a greeting. my vote this for sigma is the best ones

D

davidelcatalan

Saludos, caballero Sevillano. Regarding tile cutters I believe it is whatever you get used to.

Y

yimiyuma

Good night, in Spain 95% use Ruby here, are very good machines, but to tell the truth it makes 5 years that use Sigma and I must recognize for my opinion that are the many best ones than the Ruby, are several points that Sigma emphasizes with Ruby, one of them is his widia, the sigmas last much more that the ruby, another point, is that the ruby weighs much, only models TS AND EXTRA spear 50 cm are something but light, but from them they weigh an abyss in comparison to the Sigma, without far going but the model of Ruby tx1200 weight 47 kilograms, and on the other side the model of Sigma 3EK 1280 weight 23 kilograms in a word half that the model of Ruby, echale a look to both catalogues of the different marks and different models, and now without going but Ruby far YOU this removing a model very similar to the Sigma but, that continues having a weight superior. It is necessary to have light machines that contribute flesibilidad to you and rapides at the time of working and having compensation with the little wearing down of his widias.
To once they asked him Buddha who that was what but him sorprendia of the humanity and this I answer that what but him sorprendia of the humanity was that the men during all the life let the health to make money and when they are old are spent it for recuperarla"
that tengais a good weekend, a greeting

Y

yimiyuma

I apologise if I have not been able to express to me better, my English is terrible
:mad2:

A

albyshellshear

I apologise if I have not been able to express to me better, my English is terrible
:mad2:
good on you for trying :thumbsup: it will get better with practice everything does i think we got the point rubi's are heavy but then so are rolls royce compaired to a fiat panda but i know which one i would have lol :lol: Alby

Reply to Best Tile Cutter 2009? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock