Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Best sealer for polished marble tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Guys

My question is how to (and what to use) to seal polished / high gloss marble tiles and grout? I was thinking on the lines of using a Lithofin product (not sure which one as yet?) but need to understand if I need to seal the tiles before I fit them, then once more when they are in place. Also what to use to clean the tiles before I seal them and remove the grout film once grouted? Can someone please tlak me through the entire process, what materials to use and make a recommendation as to what the best sealer to use would be?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Do it Properly

Sorry guys, just a quick note that I have been Googling this and there seems some dispute as to whether or not polished marble can take in sealer or not. Some swear blind that being polished means that the tile will not absorb any sealer and do not recommend sealing at all. Others claim polished or not, the marble MUST be sealed. Confusing or what!!!:mad2:

OP
D

DHTiling

Not really...it is still open to attack from acidic spills etc and a suitable impregnator will help combat this...and aid in the cleaning of the stone...

OP
D

Do it Properly

Dave - any that you would recommend using and would it need to go on before as well as after the tiles are installed?

OP
D

david campbell

MN stain stop from lithofin,seal before and after grouting,if you don't think you will work cleanly then seal before laying

OP
T

Terry Cottar

Sorry guys, just a quick note that I have been Googling this and there seems some dispute as to whether or not polished marble can take in sealer or not. Some swear blind that being polished means that the tile will not absorb any sealer and do not recommend sealing at all. Others claim polished or not, the marble MUST be sealed. Confusing or what!!!:mad2:

There is only one way to find out test it prior to fitting. Put some water on a tile and leave it for an hour or so. When you wipe it off if there is a damp patch it needs sealing if there's not it don't. Simples:hurray:

tel

OP
D

Do it Properly

I'm leaning towards the Lithofin now. Anyone know of any suveys done in here to see what most people use and recommend?

OP
D

DHTiling

Place a teaspoon of water on the intensively cleaned or untreated dry surface.

Time how long it takes for the water to fully absorb.

• High Porosity - Water is absorbed within 5 minutes: 4 coats of sealer required in normal conditions.
  • Medium Porosity - Water is absorbed within 15 minutes: 3 coats of sealer required in normal conditions.
  • Low Porosity - Water is absorbed within 1 hour or longer: 2 coats of sealer required in normal conditions.

LTP Online | Useful Information

OP
T

Terry Cottar

Place a teaspoon of water on the intensively cleaned or untreated dry surface.

Time how long it takes for the water to fully absorb.

• High Porosity - Water is absorbed within 5 minutes: 4 coats of sealer required in normal conditions.
  • Medium Porosity - Water is absorbed within 15 minutes: 3 coats of sealer required in normal conditions.
  • Low Porosity - Water is absorbed within 1 hour or longer: 2 coats of sealer required in normal conditions.

LTP Online | Useful Information

Based on which sealer?????

tel

OP
D

DHTiling

err the link is there Tel...:smilewinkgrin:...

I feel you might have some spec for aqua mix...in writing,,:thumbsup:

Reply to Best sealer for polished marble tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock