Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Best mould resistant silicone in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

Jrterror

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi.
I'm just wondering, in your experience which are the best mould resistant silicone sealants?
I used one to sort the tired silicone in our shower about six months ago and already it has a speck of mould, so I don't want that to happen with the brand new shower that I'm installing.

So, have you guys ever gone back to jobs and found that silicones you have used are still looking great, even year laters?

If so, which ones?
Ta

OP
J

Jrterror

Hi. Grey.
Whilst here. Should I silicone all corners and areas where the tiles meet the tray first and then grout. Or visa versa

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I use Dow corning for white, colours are usually Mapei or Ultra.
I tried BAL silicone the other week and found it really sticky to use I didn't like it but it may well be the best anti mould one.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
By no means!
You must always grout first, pump plenty of silicone at the base of the wall profiles of shower enclosure where it meets the tray.

OP
J

Jrterror

Hi.
Do you mean before tile, fill the gap between the walls and the tray. If so, already done.
Out of curiosity, why grout first. What's the idea behind the particular process

thanks again

OP
J

Jrterror

Thanks for your input.
Would you not say that silicone around the edges of the shower area are not so much a 'finishing touch', but instead the primary method of sealing the abutments of the wet area.i.e. corners and where tiles meet the tray.

Umm, really interesting. I'm day looking at a shower now, and I wonder if if grouting first, being careful to not spill into corners and where tray meets tiles would be wiser, just as you say.

Reaction score
I always use the silicone sandwich technique. If tile a shower or bath I will silicone first (any colour because you are not going to see it) then tile then silicone again. As for corners, just the finishing touch is enough as its a movement joint. I normally use Ardex silicone and had no issues.

Reply to Best mould resistant silicone in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock