Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Best Grout sealer to prevent staining/discolouration in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I am putting wood effect tiles down which are porcelain (porcelanosa Chelsea bone to be specific) which are quite light in colour and will probably have a relatively light beige colour grout to match. Was looking for some advice on which sealer was best to prevent staining of grout and to make tiles themselves easier to clean. I have used lithofin stainstop before but am open to recommendations.

O

One Day

Epoxy grout is the only truly effective way to achieve stain resistance. if you are using cementitious grout it will always be prone to absorbing stains.
The type of sealers I think you have in mind work by limiting absorbtion of liquid but they require careful cleaning regimes and top ups.
The most effective I've used is universeal grout sealer or universeal rapid all in one. Effectively the same product in a different package.

OP
Chris_32
Reaction score
Epoxy grout is the only truly effective way to achieve stain resistance. if you are using cementitious grout it will always be prone to absorbing stains.
The type of sealers I think you have in mind work by limiting absorbtion of liquid but they require careful cleaning regimes and top ups.
The most effective I've used is universeal grout sealer or universeal rapid all in one. Effectively the same product in a different package.
Want to avoid epoxy really, hate that stuff and it's probably a bit over kill. I will have a look for that sealer you mentioned. Is universal the brand name? Do you have a link at all? Thanks.

R

Rookery

I generally use Lithofin or LTP depending on my van stock or where I'm working if I need to buy.

andy8758

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
:eek: I have used that product, and its still recommended by one of my main suppliers. But, it simply doesn't do what it says on the tin, whether an hour or a day later. In fact, I would take Impish's view one step further, I don't believe any grout sealer works.

G

GoneGuy

:eek: I have used that product, and its still recommended by one of my main suppliers. But, it simply doesn't do what it says on the tin, whether an hour or a day later. In fact, I would take Impish's view one step further, I don't believe any grout sealer works.
I have recommended it to loads of customers, nothing back as yet.
There must be a product out there that does seal grout?

K

Kevbos

I always suggest just being clean .and washing the floor .no grout sealer really works unless continuously reapplied .it is a floor .it will get dirty .mapei grout for small joints is hard to discolour .also just try saying why not start with grey grout as most floors and grout end up that colour

As I keep saying all these new products that are needed to do what was never needed .tile grout sealer .porcelain sealant .it's getting ridiculous .when will they just make a tile that's better not worse and same for a grout .

Also if you have a dog and kids .why choose a beige tile with beige grout. And wonder why it changes colour

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Chris_32
Reaction score
I always suggest just being clean .and washing the floor .no grout sealer really works unless continuously reapplied .it is a floor .it will get dirty .mapei grout for small joints is hard to discolour .also just try saying why not start with grey grout as most floors and grout end up that colour

As I keep saying all these new products that are needed to do what was never needed .tile grout sealer .porcelain sealant .it's getting ridiculous .when will they just make a tile that's better not worse and same for a grout .

Also if you have a dog and kids .why choose a beige tile with beige grout. And wonder why it changes colour

I am not wondering why it discolours, I know that it happens, I was just wondering what product may be best to keep the tiles and grout looking their best as long as possible. Grey grout is an option but it just won't look as good. This is obviously a choice I will have to make.

I also find that washing a floor too much tends to work dirt into the grout and discolours it quicker hence possibly sealing it to slow this process down.

Thanks for the patronising reply though, very helpful.

Last edited:
C

Chris Maple

The Granite Gold series works very well for me. The only downside is it separates the polisher from the sealer, which means you have to apply a conditioner separately from the sealer. Here are some more reviews on the Granite Gold.

Hi,

I am putting wood effect tiles down which are porcelain (porcelanosa Chelsea bone to be specific) which are quite light in colour and will probably have a relatively light beige colour grout to match. Was looking for some advice on which sealer was best to prevent staining of grout and to make tiles themselves easier to clean. I have used lithofin stainstop before but am open to recommendations.

Reaction score
Grout sealers only stops grout from staining not getting dirty, making it easier to clean.
Repeated washing with domestic that have bleaching agents or detergents breaks the sealer down allowing the dirt to stain the grout over time as the protection has been washed away which is the common reason for people saying they dont work.
Whichever sealer is used then use the recommended clnr to go with it.

Reply to Best Grout sealer to prevent staining/discolouration in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock