Discuss Best advice to hack of adhesive from brick face? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AlexJones

Hi

I have someone that has messed up tiling brick slips to the front of my house and wish to take them off and start again. The slips were put on with flexible adhesive which was attached to the old brickwork. They have not yet been mortared in.

Before I try hacking the slips off can anyone tell me if it’s achievable to remove the adhesive from the house brick face so I have a semi clean flat surface to start laying them on again?

I accept the brick slips being taken off are to be thrown away. The job will cost me over a couple of thousand with their screw up.

P

Perry

The adhesive would only be a few mm deep would it need to be taken off? And will the new guys be any better?

A

AlexJones

It would be me laying it, would not get those guys back. Already lost probably hundreds in what has been laid. Slips are applied with a 10mm notched trowel and concern is mainly on how easy it would be to hack off the adhesive whilst trying to leave the original brick face in good enough condition to reapply a fresh batch of slips on top.

Was thinking of using my sds and chisel to pop the slips off then a scutch comb (think armeg do one for the sds) to try and get an even surface when taking off the adhesive.

P

Perry

They are a soft slip. not sure after a few days they will pop off. might need a skim first with adhesive when cleaned up. One I done earlier.
riverisland3-768x576.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AlexJones

It’s a shame I didn’t use this site as a place to source someone to put the slips on for me in the first place. Even though they are slices of bricks I would say they fall under a tilers area of expertise than say a brickie.

If you or anyone knows of a person in the Bristol area that has laid slips before and willling to take on a job making a few corrections to some badly laid ones, plus completing the job! then I would appreciate someone reaching out to me..

Reply to Best advice to hack of adhesive from brick face? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks