Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Beginner's tips/errors and how to fix them... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
F

Flintstone

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Pdc, i would spend your time doing something more worthwhile than trying to advice our friend, like banging your head against a brick wall!

OP
K

KateJ

So there is a reason then. No-one explained that. I did a bit of grouting the next day but the rest much later. I would have found it hard to throw away three huge tubs of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and then have to mix it myself. So is tanking a bit like using PVA? Done now so no point in thinking about it.
You guys have to work fast but I can take weeks over it.

OP
W

WetSaw

Tanking is waterproofing, PVA isn't!
A job takes as long as it takes, it's not all about speed. Quite often products or techniques are used that require time between processes. As you say, it's done now so you'll just have to wait and see.

OP
K

KateJ

Well from feeling overjoyed from doing this project I feel is if its a matter of time before the tiles fall off and depressed!
If Localtiler (Mr Fish) could do something more worthwile and not advise me it would be preferable. To all you other guys I really appreiciate you kind advice. xx

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes only one quote because I had every intention of doing it myself.

At least you only wasted one tiler's valuable time and money!

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

I've just read through this and it's quite interesting.
1st of all I find it pleasing that you've enjoyed the experience of tile and as it's in the DIY section there should be no excuses for members not providing information to help you. Just because you haven't followed everyone's advice is not the end of the world and for those who feel snubbed - if you don't have anything positive to say, say nowt!
These are cheap thin white tiles and for the first 15 years from sand and cement fixing in the early '70s tubbed https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was the professionals choice. It's now aimed at the DIY market ( although even today I saw 4 tubs going into a Tilers van) and since they advise maximum tiles of 30x30cm yours are within limits. The substrate (tanking) will mean the air has to get through the joints to fully cure the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ so leave as long as possible before grouting.
Again, thanks for posting and I'am sure your efforts will help others in this section to understand the amount of work it takes in even a small area.
Keep posting and enjoy!

OP
K

KateJ

What a totally lovely message Timeless John! xxxx

Just checked my grouting and it's not perfect - will go over it until its as good a I can get it. All I can do now is keep a close eye on the tiles over the next few years!!!

Reply to Beginner's tips/errors and how to fix them... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock