Discuss Batons, levels, trackers in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I tend to screw timber legs onto battens, from floor,
Bath, shower etc. If I’ve breached wall tanking with nail etc, fill hole with silicone.

I

Italy

does not anyone use them?
maybe there are lower

20180802_115642.jpg

W

Waluigi

Cool idea. How do the straight edges stay on or do you get a row in first so you have something to push against?

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I do walls down to baton. Floor tiles then bottom row of wall. I tend to us wooded baton but am interested in a metal system - save the trees and all

Last edited:

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I thought I invented the screwing and old spirit level to the wall method. :(
On tanking I screw wooden battons to it to make legs.
I could never find a straight bit of wood.

Last edited:
W

WetSaw

you've never seen it because it's invisible.
in a few years you'll see the invisible tiles in the kitchen.
now they are 50/50% those who put and do not put tiles in the kitchen.

I know that the kitchen is considered furniture and not part of the house. I was surprised to see all of the second hand kitchens for sale when I first went to Italy.

S

Spare Tool

I use lengths of 12mm ply sliced up at local woodyard into 2" strips, somethings always puzzled me about using a level or metal straight edges, what do you do when the wall doesn't fit the exact size of the level (as in never:)) its easy enough to cut a batton to fit..

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I use lengths of 12mm ply sliced up at local woodyard into 2" strips, somethings always puzzled me about using a level or metal straight edges, what do you do when the wall doesn't fit the exact size of the level (as in never:)) its easy enough to cut a batton to fit..
Brilliant idea.

I have a rail saw. I’m going to do the same !

Lot cheaper than pine baton and straighter too!

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Cheers guys, I ended up using about 7 spirit levels propped up by shims around the bath, tiles and anything else I could get my bass on.. don’t think it turned out too badly?
DFB8BCAE-86E5-4F95-BE86-8706B2B4BD37.jpeg

AEE4A270-6A93-48D7-A1C0-71846D1D04F7.jpeg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cut the end off you spirit level....dohhh
:):)

W

Waluigi

From a distance it looks reasonable, James but when you look at the windows, the trim and some of the lips, grout joints not lining up etc you soon realise that you have a lot to learn as to what would be considered acceptable.

You need to get things spot on in this game.

The large window reveal, small tile on the right. Did you really look at that after fixing and thing that was OK? You need to maintain your grout joints everywhere. No lips.

Reply to Batons, levels, trackers in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks