Discuss Bathroom tiling disaster? Advice needed in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Julia Harrison

Hi all,

I had a new shower fitted last week. The plumber/tiler could not get a white tile to match my current tiles so he said he would put a mosaic tile there instead. The job is a mess. There is tile cement everywhere. The tiling itself looks horrible to me. He has already come out and redone it once but I think it is still a terrible job but I don’t know if I’m being too fussy. Surely there shouldn’t be tiling cement everywhere? I really need some feedback before I can pluck the courage up to confront him. What does everyone else think? Is this terrible work?? Thankuou all so much.

39ADE2FD-0CA6-492C-9DA7-2E737062E315.jpeg C6CD5D5B-F66A-43A2-AC76-C204A55DADB7.jpeg 94A61A5A-F0CA-4BDB-80B0-D61E13BB73D5.jpeg 2D7B65A6-1196-493A-ADC4-6412C80C305D.jpeg FE330565-EC60-4C15-9C45-FFBC9FAB9B64.jpeg 599DC130-D484-46D1-AC8E-CF41C166E54C.jpeg 665C3BD8-7AA2-49D7-88FF-D25092CBAFFD.jpeg 10ECC8B4-AC7E-4F51-8CC4-56690FB0D74B.jpeg

M

Marvo

Yeah, nah, my tiling is better than that and I'm an electrical engineer by trade.

From a tiling point of view I'm guessing that job would be considered well below par and lacking in most areas including but not limited to initial planning, general execution and attention to detail. From a more holistic point of view if you took the cheapest quote and paid next to nothing for the job you might have got what you paid for.

If that's his second attempt at getting it right I can't help thinking you're probably wasting your time getting him back a third time.

S

Spud

It's never going to look good patching in a section like that, it would have worked far better if he had stripped the whole wall done and choose a contrasting colour tile to act as a feature , the tiling and grouting is a bit messy but what are your honest expectations from repairing a patch like this ?

J

Julia Harrison

I didn’t know what to expect. It was his idea to put the mosaic tiles in, I just trusted him as he had good reviews and had done a good job of fitting some radiators for me earlier. He charged me 250 quid and said it would take 2 to 3 hours. I checked his reviews on check a trade, all 10 out of 10. I would have paid more if he asked, I didn’t haggle. I just wanted it to look nice and didn’t expect it to be so messy. Thank you for your feedback though.

Reaction score
To me it doesn't matter what they paid for it, they paid to have a job done which the "tiler" said he could do. I wouldn't be able to leave a job looking like this. It isn't an easy job to do and patching is always going to come with problems but leaving a job looking like this isn't good enough imho. I agree with Gary that the whole wall should have been done, and I agree that it would be pointless getting the same person round to try and rectify this, do you have any DIY skills, maybe have a go at tidying it up yourself or a friend that has DIY skills? You can get various cleaners, mainly acid based that can clean grout and adhesive of tiles. Good luck and others on here will suggest some good ideas :sunglasses:

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/triton-kaho-rear-fed-exposed-chrome-shower-flexible/39122

I don't think that shower is thermostatic, did he say it would be?
Sloppy work nothing to be proud of.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is what happens when you let the plumber do the tiling...

Reaction score
I didn’t know what to expect. It was his idea to put the mosaic tiles in, I just trusted him as he had good reviews and had done a good job of fitting some radiators for me earlier. He charged me 250 quid and said it would take 2 to 3 hours. I checked his reviews on check a trade, all 10 out of 10. I would have paid more if he asked, I didn’t haggle. I just wanted it to look nice and didn’t expect it to be so messy. Thank you for your feedback though.
Its terrible, he isnt a tiler thats for sure!

D

Dumbo

To be honest even if he had done it well it would look bad as it is off centre , now that's not his fault its its just the way the tile lines fall .

W

Waluigi

As I’ve always said, bathroom modification work is always a compromise before you’ve even begun. That said, the work is unacceptable. As already mentioned, a feature wall might’ve been your best best but completed by a professional. Obviously we don’t know how far the tiling extends beyond the bath. Look at it as a temporary repair until you get it made good properly.

Reply to Bathroom tiling disaster? Advice needed in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks