Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss bathroom start point in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

R

robbie71

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, i need basic advice on way to proceed a bathroom.

I plan to start the second row on the left wall with a baton and complete full tiles first & come down onto the bath with a cut tile.
--->Should I repeat the same on the right wall and hope the levels match when doing the window wall ??
OR
continue onto the window wall and then onto the right wall
---> my problem with this is - I'm now over the bath on the right wall and have to put a baton on quite high up, then remove baton and tile downwards

Advice appreciated
bathroomsmall7 - Copy.jpg

OP
W

WetSaw

Set your datum line out first, either batton or just a line. You can then check your cuts.

OP
R

robbie71

Thanks for the reply, I suppose my question is more basic.

1. Would pros generally work in one direction ,in my case left wall,window wall and then right side . As work progresses on the right wall I'll be tile downwards without a baton .

or
2. Do the left wall, right wall and then window wall.

If 2nd -How do I transfer my level lines for batons around bath without measuring over bath first and then coming down to 2nd tile height . This method seems a little hit and miss for a continous 3mm grout line but maybe thats just the way its done?
Do I need a laser level?

OP
W

WetSaw

A laser can make life a bit easier but you can just use your level to mark around the room. Don't measure from the floor or ceiling unless you know they are completely level in all directions ( which isn't normally the case ).
I normally tile opposite the door first, then sides then door wall last. It's easier to lose a couple of mm if you have managed to go off line a bit, not that its ever happened to me of course! But every room is different. Be very careful if you do follow around the room.

OP
S

slicker55

A good DIY question appreciated by fellow DIYers (like me) and some good advice to follow... good luck - I'm not far behind you with my bathroom project!

Reply to bathroom start point in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock