Discuss Bathroom Shower Tile Repair Job - Advice needed in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

purplefont

Looking for help with repairing a tile in shower. Here is image of tile problem.
65CAE23D-343C-4D47-A79A-6988300142A9.jpeg

I have decided to regrout floor and have the other piece of tile to fit. Plan at moment is to fill space with tile glue, glue and replace tile and regrout. My questions are
- Will tile glue be ok to fill the gap between waterproof membrane and the drain cover?
- I found about 20cm of wet grout/glue when removing old grout and suspect this is related to broken tile. All other grout was dry (although too hard to remove with stanley knife). Will my regrout fix this?
DD67A854-DF58-4B48-8E28-0B52244ED232.jpeg

Many thanks for advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
By 'tile glue', do you mean tile adhesive (like cement)? Or silicone (the rubbery stuff)?

I'd use tile adhesive to stick the tile back, leave the whole floor to dry for as long as you can (can you spare a few days?), then regrout. And once the grout is dry, apply silicone where needed.

My instinct would be to use silicone in the joins between the drain and the tiles, and the wall and floor tiles/corners. This is where you need something which can take a bit of movement.
Remember to not apply silicone over grout - so you'll have to remove as much of the grout as possible. I think I can see some remaining grout with pinholes in your pic - these suck water in so could've been contributing to your damp.

The damp grout could've been where water was getting through, or possibly low points in the previous grout which cupped and held the water there.

(I'm new to this, so I could be wrong - someone else is bound to be along in a bit...)

P

purplefont

By 'tile glue', do you mean tile adhesive (like cement)? Or silicone (the rubbery stuff)?

(I'm new to this, so I could be wrong - someone else is bound to be along in a bit...)

yes, tile adhesive. Many thanks. Need all the help i can get here :)

Reply to Bathroom Shower Tile Repair Job - Advice needed in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks