Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Bathroom setting out in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

P

Paul Lewis

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello everyone this is my first post I'll try not to waffle.

Im in the middle of a house renovation and I'm just about to tile my bathroom.

However I have a setting out problem with regard to the height. I'm using 300x 600 tiles and 3mm grout lines.

If I set the tiles so they're almost equal cuts top and bottom of the wall the bath is positioned it leaves a 30mm slither at the bottom of the window.

If I increase the size to 100mm (see photo 3) it leaves a slither of 60mm around the top of the room (see photo 2) and a slither of 80mm above the shower tray (see photo 1)

If I lower the tile around the window further it obviously increases the slither around the top of the room but reduces the one in the shower then creates one in the bath.

Shall I stick with 100mm at the bottom of the window and accept the shower tray and top of room as these are less noticeable? Or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Paul
20170424_182025.jpg
20170424_181854.jpg
20170424_184534.jpg

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Always difficult to imagine the full scenario you are facing but for me you want a good/full tile over the shower and bath. Practical and aesthetic in that order.

OP
O

Old Mod

As John says, it's hard to visulise your predicament.
Upload an image of the window wall in its entirety, either with the dimensions on the image or sketch out the window wall with the dimensions on it, photograph it and upload it along with an image of the actual window.
Then repeat for the shower and bath wall.
Then we would have a better idea how to advise.
Although you've mentioned dimensions, they don't really mean a lot if we can't relate them to the wall as a whole.
Sometimes there are other things that can be done, but we won't be able to tell without the whole story.

OP
P

Paul Lewis

image_from_24_Apr_2017.jpg
image_from_24_Apr_2017_(2).jpg
image_from_24_Apr_2017_(3).jpg
Thanks for the quick replies,
please see the above photos.
When you say full tile above the bath/shower do you mean the top of the wall or directly above the bath shower tray

OP
P

Paul Lewis

I forgot to mention the 325mm measurement is to the top of the sink toilet units.

OP
O

Old Mod

Excellent images!
How do you intend to fix the tiles, brick bond or straight stack?
Some window dimensions would be useful as would lateral measurements. :D
Sorry haha

OP
P

Paul Lewis

Straight stack. I left out the lateral measurements because I was of the understanding that whole tiles in the middle with larger then 1/2 tile cuts in the corners. The window is 870mm tall

OP
O

Old Mod

Do your tiles actually measure 300 x 600?
Often they don't, and when you're dealing with such fine margins it can make a significant difference.
8 courses @ 295mm is an extra 40mm

OP
P

Paul Lewis

Surely there can't be that much variation in size or it would be impossible to to get straight grout lines?

Also I don't have to measure every tile do I?

OP
W

WetSaw

There can be a considerable difference in tile size. +/- 2mm is not unusual so if you have one that's 2mm bigger and one 2mm smaller, well you get the idea!
Open random boxes and check a few, you should do it anyway especially if you're trying to preplan to the mm.

OP
P

Paul Lewis

I'll have a look when im home later. It's turning into a bit of a mare haha.

So what are the general rules for setting out?

OP
W

WetSaw

General rules about setting out? Don't let an engineer do it!!

You normally aim for whatever is aesthetically pleasing, be it centering a window or wall to allow even cuts. There's usually going to be a compromise somewhere though so generally you try to put that where it's less visible, behind the door for example.

Reply to Bathroom setting out in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock