Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Bathroom Mirror Woes in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

S

SB4U

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Do any of you have any experience installing large mirrors onto tiled walls? I installed one in the en-suite project I did last year but have a problem and need some advice. I appreciate it's not really a question for here but you guys gave me such good advice whilst I was working on the project that I thought I'd give you a try first. (Plus I've rather missed chatting with you.) Dan, please delete this if it's not appropriate for the tilers forum.

I installed a large (2000 x 1000 x 6) mirror with demister pads behind it. The demister pads are connected into the lighting circuit so that they only come on if the light is on. All was fine until I went out to work one day and forgot to turn the light off. When I arrived home I discovered that the mirror was cracked. :cry:

I need to get replacement mirror now of course but I'm nervous about it cracking again so wanted to get some advice beforehand. There's a couple of points where I think I may have gone wrong:
  • Rather than buy a large demister that would cover the whole mirror, I bought 2 500 x 500 mirror demisters and fitted them where we'd be looking when standing at the sinks. I wonder if this caused the mirror to expand unevenly when hot. The crack seems to be mainly behind where the most central demister was. (These are the pads: Mirror Demister Pad - 519mm x 524mm 50w)
  • I didn't tile behind the mirror. Instead I left a void which I filled with plasterboard to bring it to the same level as the tiles. I think it's pretty level though. Not sure if that could have caused a problem though.
What are your thoughts guys. Any advice would be gratefully received before I splash out on another mirror.

Steve

Before
Before.jpg
After
After.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
O

Old Mod

Just been reading the instructions Steve, and looking at your second image, bottom right hand corner.
It's cracked right thro the fixing point isn't it?
So, uneven backing, u said u thought it was pretty level, does that mean u know it was quite level? Haha
And possibly slightly too tight thro that bottom right hand fixing and obviously prolonged use, maybe none of these on their own would cause the damage, but maybe all 3 together may.
I'm just guessing tho.

OP
S

SB4U

You're right, it is cracked through the fixing point. That's the bottom middle hole. It was hard to guage how tight to screw it but it didn't seem that tight really.

I ran a straight edge accross the wall before fitting the mirror and it didn't rock and there were no massive gaps so it seemed pretty good. Probably no less level than it would have been if I'd have tiled it fully.

I'm tempted to order the next one with only a screw hole at each corner rather than having one in the top and bottom middle too. The weight pulls down vertically so in theory there shouldn't be a lot of force tipping it forward. Gulp. Good idea do you reckon?

OP
O

Old Mod

I'd be tempted to contact mirror demister manufacturer and ask if their pads would effect actual mirror glue.
If it doesn't I'd look at recessing the mirror rather than sitting it back on top and just glueing it in place.
That way the tiles takes the weight and there are no stress points to speak of.

OP
S

SB4U

That probably wouldn't work easily for me because of the amount of partial tile that's under the mirror. If I recessed the mirror in there as it is it would cut off halfway over the left hand sink and too far up for me to see my impressive moobs.

OP
O

Old Mod

Can u not outline the mirror and cut away the tiles behind with a grinder?
Was just trying to think of a way to hang the mirror without mechanically fixing it again with screws.
Alternatively put bathroom light on a timer switch! :D

OP
S

SB4U

Hmmmm. I didn't think of cutting the tiles away. Might muse over that.

I did consider putting the light on a timer actually. Or seeing if there's some way to time the demister pads regardless of when the light goes off. So, every time the light is switched on the pads stay on for a certain amount of time regardless. I'd have to consult an electrician to see if that's possible.

OP
O

Old Mod

There's bound to be a switch of sorts that will cope with that.
Cut an extra 5mm around the mirror to allow for expansion and silicone around the outside. That way u won't have to worry too tough about getting the corners perfectly clean, u always get bits left in the corner cutting with a wheel.

OP
J

Just Rizzle

as glass is a liquid it is prone to expansion I'm lead to believe. so I would imagine the heat build up over the course of the day has caused your glass to expand and crack from the weakest point in the glass ie the hole if I were to replace it would hang on brackets not through screw holes

OP
J

Just Rizzle

you could construct a frame using 8 mm box trim mechanically fix the trim to the size you want template the hole take template to a glass supplier, take mirror home bit of glass silicone glue and bobs your uncle :)

OP
S

SB4U

Ray, can you expand on your suggestions please. What kind of brackets would I need to use for a mirror of that size? Plus I'm not sure what you mean with your second suggestion.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ray, can you expand on your suggestions please. What kind of brackets would I need to use for a mirror of that size? Plus I'm not sure what you mean with your second suggestion.

I think this is what Ray means. Did this one a couple of years ago. Worked out where the mirror needed to go. Set out the tiles with box trim on the 4 internal sides and then just measured the internal dimension, took 2mm of each length and then got the glass cut to size and just fixed with mirrormate

photo64.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J

J Sid

I would get a glass company in to template and fix the mirror, why do it yourself?
Do you get your electrician to do your plumbing? Or your plumber to do your tile? Well maybe but look at the mess they normally make.
Get a professional glass/mirror company, they should know what to do and if it goes wrong they will put it right.

OP
W

White Room

I would get a glass company in to template and fix the mirror, why do it yourself?
Do you get your electrician to do your plumbing? Or your plumber to do your tile? Well maybe but look at the mess they normally make.
Get a professional glass/mirror company, they should know what to do and if it goes wrong they will put it right.

You know it's true Julian:D

Reply to Bathroom Mirror Woes in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock