Discuss Bathroom Final Decisions before I dare remove the loo in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

drewwiley

After loads of research and reading so many posts on here i just want to make sure i am approaching my project correctly, any advice is much appreciated.

Basically, we live in a converted barn, so its a bit weird !

Floor Construction
The existing floor is floating, DPM, Concrete, polystyrene, plastic sheet, chipboard. The previous owners had a leak but left the chipboard down !! so im replacing the lot as it bows. My new approach is this

DMP, Concrete , 50mm TF70 kingspan, visqueen HP Vapour layer, noMorePly 22mm t&g (this gets me to the correct floor heights). The chances are ill then lay a vinyl (no tiles). All joints will be glued and an expansion gap around the perimeter (later filled with a soft fill foam like up stand)

Wall Construction - this is my main worry
We will be installing a burlington hampton shower roll top bath against the back wall. The wall is double thickness brick (no cavity), there is then an internal blockwork wall inside the building with a 12" void between inside and out. The existing owners skimmed direct onto the blockwork and tiled direct on top of that !! not to many tiles were left on when we moved in!

After speaking to Hardibacker i am planing on tidying up the damaged plaster on the wall and mechanically fixing the hardibacker on top of the existing plaster. (NO MEMBRANES).
I will then tape the joints and apply RedGuard or similar (open to suggestions) followed by Mapei adhesive and tiles. do i need a membrane or will it cause me problems??

Not all of the bathroom will tiled so i will have to also install standard plaster board to the walls and skim that (before or after tiling? after i guess?)

Am i on the right track? Thanks in advance

F

Flintstone

For the walls, Ditch the hardie and use an insulation board, Xps board such as delta, Marmox, jackoboard etc. Save yourself a world of pain

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Kerdi is a better system/product. But in this instance, I wouLd use insulation board, as it “insulates” this will help in a cold room.

Reply to Bathroom Final Decisions before I dare remove the loo in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks