Discuss Bal GT1 Admixture.......... in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this in other grouts besides bal to make them more flexible ...
I know you shouldn't do it, and bal would never recommend it........ But in the real world do you think it would have disastrous consequences if used in grout 3000....?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Got a rush job in tomorrow, and maybe using tilemaster Grout 3000, it's a timber substrate and I prefer to use the tilemaster additive to make it more flexible....... Only trouble is I can't get hold of any till the end of the week but got loads of GT1 on the van...

P

Perry

I used to use Bal and Ardex and Feb Pci grout admixes with all sorts of grouts. Even had to mix grouts together in the old days as none of them used to do the grouts they do nowadays. A lot of the admixes are supplied by the same manufacturers.

F

Flintstone

Grout 3000 is flexible anyway without adding anything to it. Adding flexmaster additive makes it terrible to use, sticks to the face of tiles like glue

O

One Day

I believe gt1 is pva, albeit a very good, possibly modified pva.
I doubt adding it will do any harm, other than invalidating any warranty.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Grout 3000 is flexible anyway without adding anything to it. Adding flexmaster additive makes it terrible to use, sticks to the face of tiles like glue
It's recommended to add it to the grout on a timber substrate to increase the flexibility...

F

Flintstone

Not sure it’s needed unless it’s a ‘problematic floor’. I stand to be corrected tho.
When i first started using grout 3000 a few years ago I’m sure they said you need it with polished porcelain/rectified to help it stick to the edge.

F

Flintstone

17AE91F4-2BB7-4B28-B921-988666E1CD09.jpeg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
T&G floor boards and floating floors.
Not saying I would ever tile on any of these substrates...... But there timber floors and although I always overboard them with hardie or insulation boards I prefer the belt and braces approach...

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

I realize this may arrive too late, however using BAL GT1 with Grout 3000 would be OK. For obvious reasons we'd prefer Flexmaster to be used, but where it is needed, GT1 will be suitable.

I don't believe GT1 to be a PVA, although it is a form of enhanced liquid polymer that will increase the adhesion properties and flexibility of the grout, or product it is added into. I am not sure of the dilution rates of GT1 however so would suggest adding small amounts at a time to get to the consistency you would usually see from using Flexmaster with Grout 3000.

Of course there is no issue with you using Flexmaster in all applications of Grout 3000, however our usual advice would be to use Grout 3000 & Flexmaster in any application where Ultimate adhesive (S2) has needed to be used. Steel substrates, T&G Floorboards, Fibreglass etc. In all other appliactions, Grout 3000 can be used as it is.

I hope this helps.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

I realize this may arrive too late, however using BAL GT1 with Grout 3000 would be OK. For obvious reasons we'd prefer Flexmaster to be used, but where it is needed, GT1 will be suitable.

I don't believe GT1 to be a PVA, although it is a form of enhanced liquid polymer that will increase the adhesion properties and flexibility of the grout, or product it is added into. I am not sure of the dilution rates of GT1 however so would suggest adding small amounts at a time to get to the consistency you would usually see from using Flexmaster with Grout 3000.

Of course there is no issue with you using Flexmaster in all applications of Grout 3000, however our usual advice would be to use Grout 3000 & Flexmaster in any application where Ultimate adhesive (S2) has needed to be used. Steel substrates, T&G Floorboards, Fibreglass etc. In all other appliactions, Grout 3000 can be used as it is.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for your reply.
And it makes a change to hear an honest reply for once, instead of... Use our products only, or your world will come crashing down around you reply.
Rest assured given more time I would of used all tilemaster products, as there excellent to work with.... :)

Reply to Bal GT1 Admixture.......... in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks