Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Badly stained unglazed ceramic tiles due to water absorption in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

S

SD2017

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello all,
I have been a bit reckless over the years with my bathroom in the past 2-3 years and it show with the pic I have shown. I tried some products to clean these dirt stains that look deeply embedded into the tiles. I couldn't find any thread that fit this topic but is there any way to restore the tile to its original colour or am I permanently doomed. I presume it's due to the high water absorption during my showers. Anyways any help?

IMG_0033.JPG

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I would firstly test a product to remove greases and any salts from the face with a product (we have Ceramic clean), if there is remaining staining ( coloured) I will then use a mildew remover as this can sometimes remove further organic staining to the tiles.
If staining is removed

Dry the tiles completely 4-5 days or until fully dry
After this impregnate with a specific impregnator for unglazed ceramic tiles, 1-2 saturations- leave 2-3 days to cure before use, maintain with the correct products .
Few issues here, may not be just a cleaning issue, if a salt is bound deep into this tile from edges and back you may not resolve this fully,grouting may also want complete replacement

OP
S

SD2017

Thanks lithofin Bob and others! I will try these products and hope to god that it works! I will post a pic of the after effect if I see the improvement. But I guess the damage is structural and needs to be replaced if the mold has permanently hunkered down under the tiles right?

The colour is black so I imagine that is mold under? Correct me if I am wrong here....Don't want to over panic or anything but I thought I just want to ask the right questions so that in the future I can learn from this mistake!

OP
J

JTSpas

Hi Lithofin Bob, I liked your detailed answer. Otherwise I was thinking, if correct tiles have been used for the wet area.

Reply to Badly stained unglazed ceramic tiles due to water absorption in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock