Discuss Bad tiling job - what to do in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dwillie123

Well yes the kitchen company said what they could provide but I was never aware of a subcontracted tiler being used so yes not a pro tiler.
Yes it was evostick rubbed adhesive they left it behind. That was my thought is that achievable without causing too much damage to the walls or units? Yes I'm sure they won't be too pleased however we've begun to discuss a discount which may just be the tiling costs removed.
Any idea how much s full removal and retile would cost it's about 3m2? I'm
In the south east as well

T

Time's Ran Out

Prices are not normally discussed in open forum, but you really need not just the tiling costs removed but also the costs associated with the removal of all tiles and repair of walls, cleaning of units and window upvc.
Have a look on this forum 'tilers in your area' to get an indication of costs for 3sq mts of metro tiling.
Don't be concerned about upsetting this kitchen company - this is bad work and you need total removal and reinstatement for the next tiler at their expense as well as compensation for the upheaval.
Make a stand!

Q

Qwerty

Well yes the kitchen company said what they could provide but I was never aware of a subcontracted tiler being used so yes not a pro tiler.
Yes it was evostick rubbed adhesive they left it behind. That was my thought is that achievable without causing too much damage to the walls or units? Yes I'm sure they won't be too pleased however we've begun to discuss a discount which may just be the tiling costs removed.
Any idea how much s full removal and retile would cost it's about 3m2? I'm
In the south east as well

We don't allow discussion of prices in the open forums I'm afraid.

Feel free to post a new work request in our 'looking for a tiler' section and I'm sure one of our members could quote you.

I

Italy

I saw the photos....
I think I have increased the row behind me ....
I'm sorry...

13.jpg

D

Dwillie123

Oh ok did not know that thanks. il have a look into that. I also have a local tiler coming round Monday to look at it and give me some advice.

Thanks for the help I don't think I'm being unreasonable I just think I've got a nice new kitchen and the tiles really let it down but I've just got to be strong and astert myself on them.

D

Dwillie123

Yes no I am beginning to see the difficulties of my choice and I wish the "tiler" had said he wasn't confident in doing it rather than doing it anyway. I have already begun thinking about using flat rectangular tiles and a different grout.
Is it best to stick with white or are there others that look good but without the difficulties of black.

I've also learnt the biggest lesson is to stick with singular tradesmen who are pros rather than those who try and do it all. Jack of all trades and all that

T

Time's Ran Out

I don't think that we are saying you should stick to separate trades. We have many excellent multi traders on the forum and it's more a question of doing your homework prior to accepting a quote and being confident of the outcome. In your case now the manner in which your kitchen company resolve this issue will be paramount in how you will enjoy your new kitchen.
Everyone thinks they can tile, but as it's a finishing trade it's really important to have a skill/experience in that trade to get the required result.
On the subject of tile and grout it's your personal choice and done correctly it will look ok. Ok as it's a popular choice at this time but could date or age as 'in vogue' changes. These tiles do look better perhaps with a mid/dark grey - personal opinion.
Keep us in the loop regarding progress.

Reaction score
Any shade of grey will look miles better than black, imo.

It shouldn't be too much hassle to remove them and re-tile (with new tiles).

So get your new tiler's quote and hopefully deduct that from the amount owed to the kitchen company..

F

Flintstone

That is absolutely disgusting work!!
Black grout and metros is possible to get a reasonable finish without too much trouble but better with dark grey imo, but I think we're jumping the gun a bit as the grouting is the least of the problems here

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
just so so bad. its hard to believe someone would think that is acceptable way to leave
a customer's house. it makes me so mad sometimes the fella would actually want paying for that. be strong and make em pay. good luck

D

Dwillie123

Just had a proper tiler round and he echoed your comments and was just in disbelief really. Couldn't work it out or believe that someone would do that and call that a good job. Basically he said get the kitchen guys to take them off and make good the wall. Then he can come in a do a proper job

Reply to Bad tiling job - what to do in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks