• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Backing board for half tiled wall in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

A

AlexJones

Hi All

I have a question about backer board vs moisture resistant plasterboard for a non-wet zone wall in my bathroom. The back wall of my bathroom has a window, with a wall hung toilet. I was going to tile half the wall, then have it plastered for the top half so the window returns will be plastered as well etc. (so far it’s just stud work, with the window but toilet has not yet been installed).

Can I lay plasterboard for the whole wall get it skimmed then tile onto it, or would it be better to put down some sort of backer board (say marmox multi board or similar), and then tile straight onto the backer board, then get the top half skimmed?

I assume if I were to lay backer board and got the top section skimmed (few mm), plaster would apply and adhere just as well to the backer board as plasterboard?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
What size and type tile you using?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Too heavy for skim so you will need to tile then get the top skimmed or once it's boarded out do your set out for the horizontal and put a line on where the top row will finish and get the plasterer in first - they tend to make a mess!

I only use pb on walls (tanked in wet areas) unless it's a wetroom build

OP
A

AlexJones

ok thanks for the response, I assume when it comes to tiling backer boards would be recommended over plasterboard due to the weight of the tiles (British gypsum says you can tile straight to the boards - but wondered if that’s advisable considering it’s just a paper face).

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
unskimmed pb can take 32 kg/m2- so absolutely fine for your porcs.
Backerboards can take more weight but you're not fitting thick heavy stone.

OP
A

AlexJones

What about tiling and the plasterer finishing to the trim line? Although I suppose the trim could get a bit messy in terms of the exposed clean edge.

OP
A

AlexJones

Following of from that is trim commonly added post plastering, or is it sometimes added pre plastering - for example in my situation where you have a 50/50 split of tiles and plaster. Can you get a clean trim line if the plasterer feathered into it, and if you covered it in say some sort of tape?

Reply to Backing board for half tiled wall in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer