Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Backer board V Uncoupling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America

Coop5

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

Firstly I have spent ages searching his topic so please don’t think I am just creating another post for the hell of it.

So I have now done my 5th bathroom (diy for myself and friends)

I have used backer boards for the floors. All on timber floors (floorboards and t&g moisture chipboard)

Now obviously the floor needs to be solid prior to any works. But my question is this:

When tile a regular size bathroom floor with solid floorboards or t&g should I use backer boards or ditra (or similar) ??? Assuming the floor is solid, no ufh and with porcelain tiles?

Is there any advantage with either on a firm and solid timber floor?

The first floor I completed was over 5 years ago with hardi boards from Topps. Still no issues.

I have always used the following steps:

-sbr
-backer boards on to flexi https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and also screwed in to subfloor at recommend centres
-Tile onto backer board again with a flexi https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.

I have another job coming up and am just curious as to whether my method is still the right way to go.

Thanks all

Q

Qwerty

Your method is fine. A decoupling membrane is a good alternative and has the advantage of less height buildup

I will often use decoupling membrane over new wooden floor as it's faster to lay but backer board is often the tilers choice

Reply to Backer board V Uncoupling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock