Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Backer board V Uncoupling in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Coop5

Coop5 Active Member

Hi

Firstly I have spent ages searching his topic so please don’t think I am just creating another post for the hell of it.

So I have now done my 5th bathroom (diy for myself and friends)

I have used backer boards for the floors. All on timber floors (floorboards and t&g moisture chipboard)

Now obviously the floor needs to be solid prior to any works. But my question is this:

When tiling a regular size bathroom floor with solid floorboards or t&g should I use backer boards or ditra (or similar) ??? Assuming the floor is solid, no ufh and with porcelain tiles?

Is there any advantage with either on a firm and solid timber floor?

The first floor I completed was over 5 years ago with hardi boards from Topps. Still no issues.

I have always used the following steps:

-sbr
    -backer boards on to flexi adhesive and also screwed in to subfloor at recommend centres
    -Tile onto backer board again with a flexi adhesive.

I have another job coming up and am just curious as to whether my method is still the right way to go.

Thanks all

2. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Your method is fine. A decoupling membrane is a good alternative and has the advantage of less height buildup

I will often use decoupling membrane over new wooden floor as it's faster to lay but backer board is often the tilers choice

• Like Like x 1
  3. Simon Dale

Simon Dale Professional Tiler

I would always overlay with board! Never decoupling straight on to T/G. :)