Discuss Backer board question in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Tronic

TF
Reaction score
Hi there,

New member here, and my first attempt will be tiling our bathroom floor.

I picked up some 6mm tile backer board from the local builders suppliers and plan is to screw it to the 18mm plywood floor which I have already tanked.

The board has a smooth side and a textured side-I have attached a picture. Problem is I do not know which side to face up to lay tiles on-the smooth otr the rough?

The bloke in the builders providers did not know and suggested googling it, and there is no branding on it-a number that yeilds nothing when I search for it... The tiles are 450mm square ceramic, and the adhesive I got is Evo-stik Technik Rapid Set Flexible.

Evo-stik Technik Rapidset Flexible Grey Tile Adhesive | TJ O"Mahony - http://www.tjomahony.ie/product/evo-stik-technik-rapidset-flexible-grey-tile-adhesive/

Can someone please advise me which side to use?
Many thanks in advance for any help with this.

G.

20180419_213315.jpg

W

WetSaw

I'd change the rapid set adhesive for standard set if your first time tiling, you'll possibly be throwing more away than using. Also, what ceramic tiles are they? A lot of ceramics say wall or floor but are not really suitable for floors, particularly if there's even the slightest deflection in the floor and ,as it's your first time tiling, not bedded correctly.

Tronic

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

I never thought about tanking the boards, I have two coats on the plywood which is screwed to the joists every 150-200mm.

My concern was the white side was too smooth for the adhesive to stick to, and the coarser back would absorb too much moisture from the adhesive if that makes sense. The tanking seems to provide a nicely textured finish.

The tiles are 430 430mm 'Gard Marfil Floor' from a brand called Balletto but are also sold by Saloni. I have uploaded a data sheet on same.

Thanks again.

G.

Attachments

• SAL054.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 14

Reply to Backer board question in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks