Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss B & Q Walk in shower in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi to all just joined

Next week i plan to rip out my bath and install a walk in shower that i bought from B&Q called ZONE 1 its 1200 x 800mm
After reading and researching shower fitting i thought i had it sussed by fitting the shower tray in 1st and then tile down to the top leaving a few mm to silicon seal after...but on reading the instructions for the shower cubicle it says THIS SHOWER BASE CANNOT BE SET INTO THE WALL IT YOU MUST TILE THE WALL 1ST AND THEN FIT THE TRAY TO THE TILES AND SEAL....i have checked the glass panels and fittings and there is no room for any of the fittings to be secured to the tray if the tray is set into the wall..??? Has anyone fitted this kind of shower before---maybe it will be ok if i plasterboard the walls square and put loads of silicone between tray and tiles....

OP
D

davy_G

Hi stryd,
I suppose every one is different. Is there a customer or fitters helpline on the instructions? If so give it a call to clarify. Most standard shower trays are fitted first then tiled to, but I have read on hear about the opposite being the case.
I cant picture it but i like to tank everything is walk in showers, dont like the idea of siliconing a big gap.
Any photos?
Good luck whatever the outcome, a few more experienced fitters might be along having used some of these formers.

OP
D

Daveyboy

There are some products on the market that do require you to tile the walls first then fit the tray..in this event, the walls have to be perfectly straight and the corner a perfect right angle, otherwise you're left with gaps that need filling with silicon, then you need to fit a corner/edging strip against the tiles and tray...

OP
D

DHTiling

I have seen a tray like that...an en-suite i did had the same type...:thumbsup:

I had to tile the floor first as well...then the tray was sat on the tiles and against the wall ones..:thumbsup:

This is the said shower..but you cannot see the tray in the pic..

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

If the instructions tell you to tile the walls first (and as Dave suggested possibly the floor) and you've checked that there will be no room for tiles if its set into the wall then that's it!
The only suggestion I would make is not to use plasterboard but set the walls up square with WEDI board.

Timeless John.

OP
S

stryd

Or tank it..:thumbsup:
I dont think that will help because the tray has a raised lip all the way round which is 12mm high but only 3mm wide at the top....so how can i tank/seal the wall to a 3mm lip ....any ideas

OP
S

stryd

There are some products on the market that do require you to tile the walls first then fit the tray..in this event, the walls have to be perfectly straight and the corner a perfect right angle, otherwise you're left with gaps that need filling with silicon, then you need to fit a corner/edging strip against the tiles and tray...

The only problem is that there is a raised lip all the way round the tray which is 12mm high but only 3mm wide a t the top so its not possible to fit any kind of seal between wall and tray as far as i can see.....

OP
D

Daveyboy

Hi Stryd..that lip is called an upstand and the upstand normally sits between the wall and the tile so it's strange that the instructions say you tile first and then fit the tray..I'd definately check with B&Q/the manufacturer to make sure the instructions are correct..

OP
S

stryd

Hi Stryd..that lip is called an upstand and the upstand normally sits between the wall and the tile so it's strange that the instructions say you tile first and then fit the tray..I'd definately check with B&Q/the manufacturer to make sure the instructions are correct..

Thanks for your input but i dont think the end panel will fit if the tray goes into the wall because the glass end panel fits to the wall with a double u shaped extrusion and the corner of the end panel fits to the tray with a closed end corner bracket that needs to be screwed to the tray ....dimensionally if the tray goes into the wall the end bracket that screws to the tray ends up on the radius of the lip.....not on the flat..so i think im buggered....ill have to get the walls square and rely on silicon...

On another note the tray is fibre glass and comes with 5 support legs is it supposed to be supported only on the legs or on legs and the outer edge of the tray aswell....somehow?

OP
D

Daveyboy

That's definately one for the instructions stryd..shame you can't post any photos to help us visualise your challenges...

OP
D

DHTiling

I dont think that will help because the tray has a raised lip all the way round which is 12mm high but only 3mm wide at the top....so how can i tank/seal the wall to a 3mm lip ....any ideas

My reply was to t/johns..tanking the room before tile walls and floor to prevent water ingression..:thumbsup:

Reply to B & Q Walk in shower in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock