Discuss B&Q Installation in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Grahamb12

We have recently had a bathroom installed by b&q, the wall tiles we chose were travetine 480mm x 330mm. i have several issues, of which the project manager is coming to inspect.
I need to be armed with information on accepatble levels of lippage and quality of tiling. I will post as much information as i can .
1. There are many areas of the tiling that has in excess of 2mm lippage, this has been measured against a 2p piece.
2. the tiles were cut with a circular saw, so many of the cuts have very rough edges and are not straight.
3. the window return is 10mm different in width from top to bottom, and i have used a spirit level to confirm this, needless to say, the blind that used to be in the window, now doesnt fit. it is an exact fit at the bottom, but now wont fit at the top.

My question is where do I stand in asking for these problems to be rectified, i have put poly coving up over the tiles at the ceiling and this shows many of the lippage problems too.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
what surface were the tiles fix to.

could you post some pictures that would help us to see how bad it is.

S

Stewart

Posting pics would be a great help in giving you some info, but as a rule lippage of any kind is unacceptable imo...

G

Grahamb12

P1040120.JPG P1040115.JPG P1040116.JPG P1040114.JPG P1040117.JPG P1040113.JPG

G

Grahamb12

the tiles were fixed to both plastered wall and stud wall. the tiles that came off the wall were all level and straight

S

Stewart

Those tiles are just ceramic and not Travertine, but the standard of fixing is not the best. There should be no grout in the internal corners and these should be finished with matching silicone. That amount of lippage is unacceptable and really down to poor workmanship.

G

Grahamb12

oops, sorry, the style was called travertine.
So can I ask for them to refit the tiles?

S

Stewart

they should replace any tiles that are lipping. The internal corners need the grout removed to allow for expansion and replaced with silicone....

G

Grahamb12

what about the cut tiles, example in picture 6, they used a circular saw, and as you can see, the finish is not the best, also the window surround.. 1145mm gap at the bottom, 1132mm at the top, this is down to the left hand side not being straight

G

Gazzer

what about the cut tiles, example in picture 6, they used a circular saw, and as you can see, the finish is not the best, also the window surround.. 1145mm gap at the bottom, 1132mm at the top, this is down to the left hand side not being straight

Could have cut that better with a manual dry cutter.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
And I would push that the window reveal is well out. It should at least be square. Not all windows you can do this with as some old houses just are not square at all but a tiler is meant to have the skill to make it look as square as possible. Though a window that was square in the first place, it's shocking to see it so out. While they're there, they may as well re-do that too.

S

Stewart

They should also replace any chipped tiles. No care taken when cutting those and there is no excuse for it!

Aspect Tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Nothing to add to what issues you have noticed yourself and what the guys have noticed from the pictures. You are completely within your rights to ask them to sort the problems out. I'd place a good bet on there being other issues in the bathroom too (e.g other internal corners grouted and not siliconed). Have a good look round before the project manager comes round in the hope of getting them all sorted.

Reply to B&Q Installation in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks