Discuss ATS diamond tools - dry core drills in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Q

Qwerty

Purchased a 6, 8, 10 & 16mm diamond dry core drills the other day. They were delivered next day. I already have a Rubi 20mm core which I love, and to look at they are almost identical!

Got a whole porcelain wet room to drill. Will post pics as & when I use them next week :)

7ehusu5y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Have been using the marchrist ones so look forward to hearing how these perform and how many holes you get out of them.

C

Concrete guy

We've sold a fair few of these now, the 35mm is our biggest seller, used by masons for tap holes. 6mm is the second biggest seller by volume.

Porcelain is by far the toughest test for these bits so I'm interested to see how you get on Geoff.

Rubi suggest 15-20 holes are achievable with their bits which seems conservative for the bigger drills but reasonable for the smaller ones.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
have also recently bought both the rubi dry corer and also ats ones too..have used both and so far so good on both makes will be interesting to see how many holes they produce

Q

Qwerty

So here are the results ......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381925926.803514.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381925938.683406.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381925949.488456.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381925959.926574.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381925971.279125.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381925980.632858.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381925990.278702.jpg

Used all 4 bits for shower, basin, cabinet & towel warmer holes.

They feel no different in use to the Rubi dry cores, if anything slightly better.

The trick I found was to rotate the angle grinder slightly as it initially cut into the face of the tile. This opens up the hole marginally and prevents chipping.

The 6mm was hard work but this was purely down to the internal hole not allowing debris/ dust to vacate the hole being cut. Fine to use , but just took longer. The others were a absolute dream to use and cut through the porcelain with relative ease.
An absolute pleasure to use and a credit to ATS for an excellent product.

Highly recommended!!! :)

Oh, before you ask.... the grout is wet where I wiped the area down & not discoloured!!!

C

Concrete guy

Thanks for taking the time to post this Geoff.

The 6mm is the bit that makes us nervous, we've had a couple of customers manage to destroy them but we have no idea how they managed it.

The videos I've seen from Rubi and other manufacturers actually suggest rotating the grinder in the manner you suggest to help clear debris and it also helps reduce temperature build up.

As we're replacing stock on these bits we're making them longer, mainly for the stone mason trade for cutting 30mm thick material. So sizes from 16mm up will have 50mm of useable cutting length.

We're also introducing a couple more sizes, 12mm & 40mm to fill a couple of gaps in the range.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just placed an order for the cheaper drills.....:smilewinkgrin:

Going to to try them out.

Dont forget to pop in a nice freebie. :lol:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ordered a selection of the diamond holesaws a couple of weeks ago, arrived within 2 days and they sail through the porcelain tiles like a knife through butter. Forgot that I hadn't asked for a 20mm and had that one thrown in for free.

In summary, great service, great drills!!!

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Interesting.. Stay away from the forums for a couple of months, and come back to a whole new world of toys! Haven't seen the dry cores before.. Need to investigate further, I think.

C

Concrete guy

We've added another couple of sizes of VB drill this week to fill in a some gaps.

Now available in (new sizes highlighted) :-

6mm
8mm
10mm
12mm
16mm
20mm
25mm
28mm
35mm
40mm
45mm
50mm
60mm
65mm
M14 to Hex adapter

Reply to ATS diamond tools - dry core drills in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks