Discuss Are waterproof tiles essential for our bathroom? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

miked

Hi
We are choosing wall tiles to redecorate our bathroom. We have found some tiles in Wickes that are displayed in a typical bathroom layout and are specified for bathroom use excluding wet rooms.
Our bathroom is very small and we get a lot of condensation, the shower is wall mounted and flows into a bath. As the tiles are not specified as waterproof, do you think this will be a problem?
Thanks miked

Q

Qwerty

Hi @miked . No, they will be fine. It would however be very advisable to tank the walls within the shower area.

Would you mind telling us which tiles they are please?

O

One Day

When tiles have a warning on regards to water, they will normally be totally unsuitable in any wet area. The biscuit will absorb water through the grout joint and the glaze will discolour.
Not 100% certainty but certainly seen it a lot...

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Miked, Welcome, condensation is mainly down to the fact that the air in the bathroom is not being circulated enough. i.e. the damp air (after taking a bath/shower) needs to be expelled via a window and/or extractor fan.
I am guessing the walls of your bathroom are very cold to the touch? Leave a window open for as long as possible (even in Winter) to get rid of as much damp air as possible.

I live in a very cold 1930's house (no cavity walls). Every so often (every 3 months) I have to spray the shower area with HG mould spray just to keep the spores at bay.

If a tile is being sold as a bathroom tile then it should be fit for purpose.

M

miked

In response to Sean Kelly;
We also live in a 1930's house, we manage the condensation by opening the windows, use an extractor fan, wipe the walls down after use and use a mould spray every 2-3 months

Q

Qwerty

I have seen the link to the tiles and see no reason whatsoever why these couldn't be used in a normal domestic bathroom with a shower. It may well be worth checking with wickes in person, but this review may reassure you....

Screenshot_20171029-221224.png

T

Time's Ran Out

They are made in UK so they say and for this reason I’d suggest they are for light traffic areas only where there will be no excessive water. Most of these ceramic tiles are a white soft biscuit tile and the Matt glaze makes them softer. Because this glaze is short/sharp on the edges they need a very high grout joint and water can penetrate the edges and stain in behind the glaze.
In my opinion they are not suitable anywhere near water/moisture, and certainly not on a floor.

T

Time's Ran Out

Just had the same conversation with a wet room customer today.
His tiles are suitable for a wet room as they are porcelain and made in Turkey.
However they are being marketed by Topps as an English made tile in their English regional range!
Topps say they haven’t updated their web page yet, but their actual English range is as described in my earlier post and not suitable for wet of floor areas. Perhaps they’ve had problems.

Reply to Are waterproof tiles essential for our bathroom? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks