Discuss Any dog owners I'm looking for advice in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

GoneGuy

Hi all,
I have two German shepherds Roxy 11yrs old and Milo 12yrs old.
My youngest roxy we believe has got canine degenerative myelopathy and I was hoping someone might have had some experience with this with their dog?

D

Dumbo

When your dog is standing can you cross your dogs rear legs without it correcting . Support your dog when you do this . Or can you lift her foot and put it back down with her claws tucked under without her correcting that

W

WetSaw

I had a Labrador/Springer cross that became very weak and wobbly on her back legs around the age of 13. The vet prescribed Vivitonin and Metacam which transformed her and she became really active and bright and lived another year.

G

GoneGuy

When your dog is standing can you cross your dogs rear legs without it correcting . Support your dog when you do this . Or can you lift her foot and put it back down with her claws tucked under without her correcting that
She has all the symptoms such as falling over when trying to turn around, can't get up and basically dragging herself with her front legs, also has lost a lot of muscle size from her rear hind.
Her legs constantly cross.
We are taking her to another vet on Tuesday and my wife thinks after a lot of research and seeing how roxy has gone downhill last week that the vet will suggest euthanasia.

G

GoneGuy

I had a Labrador/Springer cross that became very weak and wobbly on her back legs around the age of 13. The vet prescribed Vivitonin and Metacam which transformed her and she became really active and bright and lived another year.
I will mention it to the vet on Tuesday as I think hat even though she has deteriorated a lot in last week it's worth a shot to give her a few more weeks/months.
The worst thing about it she doesn't seem to be in pain with it and she's alert.
But she is getting sores and has had a toilet accident.
She got that fed up look on her eyes

W

WetSaw

We were on honeymoon and had a friend staying at our house looking after "Doris". She'd been getting wobbly and dragging her back feet when walking and having the odd accident. When our friend came home from work one day Doris was spread eagle on the hall floor ( bloody laminate..) unable to get up, had messed and was in some distress. Obviously we have no idea how long she had been stuck there. She spent 3 days in the vets but when she came home she was like a puppy again, the difference was amazing. She had another year of good quality life, walking, running, swimming and eating everything in sight before the inevitable day.
I know we did the right thing and she had good quality of life and we weren't just keeping her going for our sake.

G

GoneGuy

Hi all, just thought I would give a little update, the hardest decision I've had to make, we are putting Roxy to rest this afternoon as she can no longer move and all the fight has gone out of her.
I can see in her eyes she is telling me it's time to go.

IMG_3271.JPG

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that mate, not an easy decision but the right one. I feel for you, it's never easy but you clearly care and therefore gave her a good home to of lived her life in.

G

GoneGuy

Thank you guys, it still hasn't sunk in my my girl is not here, her brother is missing her a lot

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I really feel for you adey. had to have one of our bulldogs put to sleep in june,
it broke my heart and I cried like a baby. one of the family but cant see them suffer.
All the best mate.

G

GoneGuy

It still hasn't hit me yet, got to get used to not calling both dogs names is hard.
I'm picking her ashes up in a weeks time
:(

Reply to Any dog owners I'm looking for advice in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks