Discuss Any advice would be greatly appreciated in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Diydaz

TF
Reaction score
I have completed tiling and now i am ready to fit my Bath but as per bloody usual i have messed up i have tiled the wall that the bath will sit against too close to the floor I believe...I know the bath will have to sit on a batton that is fixed to the wall but as explained i have tiled most f the way down ,can i fix the baton to the tile to support the bath or will there be too much weight on it.... i have included a pic please don’t judge its my first attempt at tiling never done it before ...

8F28D0F7-7B0D-4440-94DE-1EC1CADD5A67.jpeg

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Looks good for first attempt, is the wall square? If not you could just remove the tiles on the tap end and let it in. Ideally take the whole row out where the bath sits against. Have you used ready mixed adhesive?

Diydaz

TF
Reaction score
Yes i think the wall is square, yes i used ready mixed adhesive...don’t really want to take tile off but is this the only option ? Would the batton not fix to the tile if i drilled a large hole in them so it does not touch the tile and fix the batton to the tile? I think if i did remove the tile i am going to end up with a slither to put in and i would of thought it might cause problems but what do i know hey...had enough of it now tbh i seem to be going 2 steps forward 5 back lol ...don’t laugh but could i build a frame at the back like you do at the front to save the heartache of knocking the tiles off if i build it from the floor upwards ?

Last edited:

Diydaz

TF
Reaction score
A few more pics , there is going to be a pvc strip at the top of the wall where is slopes at the window just to make it look neater...

050660FD-9435-455F-9B90-9B7E96B975A7.jpeg 160ACF5E-BB95-4755-8ACA-80F3284D1254.jpeg C2DD4DBD-8C76-4F4B-B2E4-E8DB9949B132.jpeg

W

Waluigi

Fixing a batten to the wall will be fine.

You drop the bath onto the batten after you apply a bead of silicone to the top of the batten. The majority of support in a Bath is taken up by the baths feet, not by the sides of the Bath.

You should have really dropped a tile onto the bath, regardless of the wall being square, a Baths edge has a radius which should go against the untiled wall. A bath against a tile will mean that the radius needs filling with silicone otherwise water will gather so it means a big bead of silicone

Last edited by a moderator:

Diydaz

TF
Reaction score
Fixing a batten to the wall will be fine.

You drop the bath onto the batten after you apply a bead of silicone to the top of the batten. The majority of support in a Bath is taken up by the baths feet, not by the sides of the Bath.

You should have really dropped a tile onto the bath, regardless of the wall being square, a Baths edge has a radius which should go against the untiled wall. A bath against a tile will mean that the radius needs filling with silicone otherwise water will gather so it means a big bead of silicone

Many thanks pal you have put my mind at ease now :)

G

GoneGuy

As @Waluigi said in his post, also if you do have to much of a gap between bath and tiles that the silicone will look too big you can always use a small piece of pvc quadrant

Diydaz

TF
Reaction score
As @Waluigi said in his post, also if you do have to much of a gap between bath and tiles that the silicone will look too big you can always use a small piece of pvc quadrant

Many thanks pal I have come to the fact that i will have to make it look tidy with quadrant or some sealant colour matched to the grout to tidy it up ..Its my first tiling job but I’m sure it will look good at the end...

Reply to Any advice would be greatly appreciated in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks