Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Any advice please on tiling onto ply which is screwed to decking ? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

llevram

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
ive been asked today can I tile over decking in a garden which will be ply boarded first ? Very odd I thought but if anyone has any advice etc it would be very much appreciated . Cheers

T

Tile Shop

Wood and outside is not a good combo. In fact its sooooo not recommended, there is nothing relating to it in british standards. Therefore none of the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and accessory manufacturers (including Bal, Schluter, Ardex) will back you if you even attempt it. When i was asked before, even when i enquired about laying marmox, hardie and ditra, it was still an overwhelming No from all of them for the fact its still all screwed/glued to wood which is affected in changes in weather/tempetature.

T

Tile Shop

See post #2. No, because the wood its screwed to will have too much movement, swelling, shrinkage etc. Tile onto a solid screed base or don't tile it at all.

OP
L

llevram

TF
Reaction score
Cheers Paul I kind of thought it would be a no no. It's my friend just being a tight arse not wanting to uplift the decking

T

Tile Shop

You could point out to them that it would be a huge amount cheaper than having to have it all re-done 2 weeks down the line :)

Reply to Any advice please on tiling onto ply which is screwed to decking ? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock