Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Another quartz thread in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
After some advice please, customer is supplying these quartz resin tiles from Topps for a kitchen I’m on

Starluxe™ Black 60x60 Tile | Topps Tiles - https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod42191/starluxe-black-60x60-tile.html

Supposedly safe with electric ufh and been recommended to use bal PTB with AD1 1/3 ratio. Along with bal Ebony grout

Having not installed quartz tiles before is there anything I should look out for? Ie cutting technique, cleaning etc

O

One Day

I would print off the web-page which says they are fine with ufh and keep it filed!
Ignore any and all advice from Topps and contact BAL technical concerning PTB. I have used it with these and it's been fine, but check with BAL - not Topps.
My advice would be not to use BAL grout as it is a pain for efflorescence. I would pick Tilemaster grout any day, but that's my experience.
They're very easy to cut with a wet saw, but the resin stinks so better done outside.

W

Waluigi

From last year when I installed these tiles from Topps.

Don’t buy the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and milk from Topps. It’s extortionate.

163BA300-B6C9-4128-A8FA-94C443A90C05.jpeg

OP
Bopster

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ok so cleaning them up is a pain, am I understanding correctly in that after the grout is floated in and wipe as much away as possible I give initial cleaning with a damp sponge once it set a bit then leave to dry then use the residue remover?
Needless to say the plonker in Topps said have plenty of sponges to clean up with

O

One Day

I've never had any issues grouting these, either the proper Gulfstone, or the cheap copies. Just wouldn't suggest contrasting grouts in case of staining is all.
I think residue removers are just usually another Topps' targeted add-on.
(otherwise known as "mug-sales")

OP
Bopster

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ok, that’s fine then. As using ebony grout on black tiles I’ll just work clean without excessive water
Cheers

O

Old Mod

Whilst I’m sure ptb may be suitable, personally I’d use Isomats Mega Rapid.
Couple of reasons, one it’s a bottle and bag system with zero water content, and secondly, in this country it would be regarded as a standard set, whereas ptb certainly isn’t.
Mega rapid has a 3 hour pot life at 23 degrees, and I’ve tested that very fact and found it to be true.
Ptb could be used for a thicker bed, but as long as you don’t intend on going thicker than a 10mm solid bed, the mega rapid will be fine.
It is very high yield also, so whilst it’s not cheap, the yield more than makes up for it.
Just my opinion tho.

J

J Sid

wouldn't dream of fixing with anything less then bottle and bag https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
also think I'd walk away if on ufh or in an area with direct summer sun.

W

Waluigi

I agree with 3fall- not that I’ve used Mega rapid but that PTB isn’t great to work with.

I had to use it as it was supplied by my customer but didn’t enjoy it one bit.

OP
Bopster

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
wouldn't dream of fixing with anything less then bottle and bag https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
also think I'd walk away if on ufh or in an area with direct summer sun.
Do you know a good supplier locally for bottle and bag adh?

OP
Bopster

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thought ctd maybe option, I do have an account there. Just not used them much recently. I’m only after a few bags as only 9sqm
Cheers for the offer

Reply to Another quartz thread in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock