Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Am I being a perfectionist? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
M

MCS

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I have recently had my bathroom done and I wanted to get some advice about the finish of the tiles. I ended up going with marble tiles on the basis I won’t get my bathroom done again anytime soon.

Unfortunately, some of the tiles look pretty jagged/uneven where they have been cut. I’m not sure what is realistic to expect with marble tiles but they were relatively expensive so grateful for any advice on whether this is usual! Examples below.

There was something else I wasn’t happy with so the bathroom people are going to be coming back - they have been really reasonable so far so I don’t want to question this if it’s something that can’t be helped...

Thanks!
E7ADDB0C-92C6-4D3A-A68A-C2E421696C9B.jpeg D941B36D-19D7-4683-B65E-52BAB5B07A4F.jpeg 98E7765E-48FE-4A17-9932-BD307A469141.jpeg

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That’s horrific!
There’s no excuse, completely wrong cutting method used.
Better expererienced guys on here than me regards to marble. But I wouldn’t have used trims.

OP
M

MCS

Oh no...I was hoping it was just me expecting too much but I had a feeling it wasn’t. So disappointing!

Thanks so much for your views. On the plus side, I paid a deposit but haven’t paid the rest so hopefully I can either get it fixed or pay someone else to fix it

OP
O

Old Mod

It is poorly finished, it’s either laziness or inexperience, either way you should expect a much higher quality of finish.
Have the tiles changed in colour or appearance?

OP
G

GoneGuy

I think he hasn’t used a good blade to cut the marble, and he obviously hasn’t rubbed the rough edge of the tile. As with tile trim it’s customers preference but usually natural stone is better finished with mitres/bullnose

OP
M

MCS

It is poorly finished, it’s either laziness or inexperience, either way you should expect a much higher quality of finish.
Have the tiles changed in colour or appearance?

I’m not certain, but I don’t think so - some of them are more yellow toned than others but I think that’s just natural variation. Is there something I should be looking out for?

OP
O

Old Mod

It’s hard to tell from images you’ve posted, they just looked a little grubby. Make sense?
Grouting doesn’t look the best and even picture framing looks present.
But could totally be just images and not a true reflection of the overall finish

OP
M

MCS

It’s hard to tell from images you’ve posted, they just looked a little grubby. Make sense?
Grouting doesn’t look the best and even picture framing looks present.
But could totally be just images and not a true reflection of the overall finish

They aren’t dirty if that’s what you mean? They feel jagged and sharp if you feel down the edge. Those were the best photos I could manage, but they are pictures of the bits that look the worst as that’s what I wanted views on.

OP
O

Old Mod

I’m not saying they’re dirty, please don’t misunderstand me.
If you’re happy other than the poor cuts, then that’s kool.

OP
O

One Day

Marble - even a relatively low-grade marble should NEVER have a chrome trim stuck on. It should be polished, bull-nosed or mitred/polished.
That is truly awful work.

Even IF you are happy to have a trim on the edge of stone, it should be done neatly. Whoever did that needs their vision checking.
Sorry - I feel for you, but we see this every single week....

OP
M

MCS

Thanks all, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your expertise. I did so much research before I settled on someone to do the work (and yes, I made sure they were a pro tiler) so I am very upset I have ended up in this mess.

I have gone back to them to query the work as I can’t leave it how it is, especially now I can be confident it’s not just me being picky!

Reply to Am I being a perfectionist? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock