Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss AKW TUFF2 Former (ardex over plastic former) in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
It seems that ardex liquid tanking is a very popular choice on this forum and I am hoping to use some in my wetroom, however does anyone know if it's okay to use on a plastic shower former? The only thing I can find online is people recommending I lightly sand the surface of the former and AKW only seem to sell the sheet membrane. Has anyone got any experience fitting these?

I want to avoid using sheet style membrane as I would like to do the walls as well with what ever I purchase to tank the floor. The surrounding walls are all solid but for piece of mind it would be nice to tank it

Many thanks

W

Waluigi

I would be tempted to use the form safe on the tray, including the upstand and then tie the ardex to the upstand on the walls.

That’s just me though. I’d contact ardex and see if it’s suitable for the tray. Might be tough getting a definitive answer.

O

One Day

The tray itself is waterproof, but the joints and waste assembly isn't.
I have sanded down these areas and taped and waterproofed using Ardex WPC and in 24 hotel wetrooms a few years ago, had zero issues.
(The tiler they used had major issues, but that's a different story!)

As Waluigi says though, belt and braces would be to sheet the whole tray.

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
That's good to know impish. The only problem with using the sheet aswell is on their website it states that the form safe is not to come into contact with other tanking sealant as it can dissolve the form safe membrane. Awkward

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
So I've finally come to a decision. Think I've been overthinking this to much, but I'll go for the ardex tanking system and do what Impish mentioned before of roughing up the former and applying thick ardex to waste and edges of the akw tuff 2 former.

I've got some already diluted BAL SBR that I need to use up, I'll prime all the plastered walls with this, then I will apply the ardex as mentioned above, maybe with some CT1 silicone on the plastic drainage part and then I will finally use mapei flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on top. Hope all these brand names play nice together!

If theres any obvious mistakes I'm about to make I'd appreciate any comments, but think I really just need to bite the bullet now and make a decision!

Had hoped to source some sheet membrane for the former but couldn't find any sold just by a 1meter square, plus alot of these sheet membranes required their own stuff to adhere to the former. Cant justify paying £100 to waterproof an already waterproof plastic tray.

Last edited:

Reply to AKW TUFF2 Former (ardex over plastic former) in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock