Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss AKW TUFF former and liquid tanking ???? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
It seems that ardex liquid tanking is a very popular choice on this forum and I am hoping to use some in my wetroom, however does anyone know if it's okay to use on a plastic shower former? The only thing I can find online is people recommending I lightly sand the surface of the former and AKW only seem to sell the sheet membrane. Has anyone got any experience fitting these? I want to avoid using sheet style membrane as I would like to do the walls as well with what ever I purchase to tank the floor. The surrounding walls are all solid but for piece of mind it would be nice to tank it Many thanks

W

Waluigi

It’s a new thread. I very nearly copied and pasted my reply to this one but decided against it.

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Sorry I realised there's a more appropriate sub forum for this question, rather than being in the tile section.

I have since found out that the Mapei shower taking kit is an approved product by AKW, which surely is very similar to the ardex, however when contacting ardex they felt they couldn't say for sure if it would work, and instead directed me to a different product of there's "ARDEX XPU60"

Might be best just going for the Mapei though

W

Waluigi

What about Tilemaster?

Might be worth giving them a call. The customer service is excellent and for me, I much prefer it to the Mapei.

D

Dumbo

I would contact mapei to see what they have to say don't just rely on what you are hearing from akw

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
I've heard back from mapei and AKW, both confirming that the mapei shower liquid memrane is safe to be used with the AKW shower former :thumbsup:. Shame it's so expensive, I'm still waiting to hear back from tilemaster Waluigi. Did you not have a good experience with mapei? What did you prefer about tilemaster.

I'm guessing all these liquid memranes are safe to be put over a painted wall, or should a strip it back to plaster?

Cheers

W

Waluigi

I used Mapei for a number of years but moved over to Tilemaster last year as it’s a better system IMO.

Yes the paint has to be completely removed before applying the tanking membrane.

Just out of interest, what size tiles are you hanging off the plastered wall? Are they ceramic/porcelain?

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
To be honest I haven't even started looking at tiles yet, I was going to prep and then get tiles when I reach that stage.

So my walls I think are breeze block on all three sides luckily, think they've been like screed rendered then plastered over the top, so I should strip all paint off, then can I make any repairs to the walls using tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/?

I'm going for a ceiling mounted shower head as the surrounding walls are all solid, First time for that also!

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Just an update! I've finally got the ply floor down and former in, however it looks like I've only got like a 2mm height difference between the former and the plywood ( former 2mm higher)

I've still yet to put down the 6mm hardiebacker. Originally the advise was that 18mm ply with 6mm hardie will leave the former 2mm lower and that would be okay.

I'm thinking the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ I stick the hardie down with will take up 2mm so my floors going to probably be 6mm higher than the former.

Should I just get some 6mm ply and put this under the former, or perhaps use some off cuts from the hardie backer and put that between the joists and the former?

W

Waluigi

From memory the AKW doesn’t need fully supporting underneath (ply between joists) so yes you could pack the joists up with something to get the desired height of the wet Dec. The Dec is screwed down anyway.

Q

Qwerty

Absolutely fine to do the above. Just ensure the length of the joists that the former is to sit on is covered with the material used to ensure uniformity

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Okay, shame to buy more plywood but I suspect putting lengths of 6mm hardiebacker under the former would potentially be a bad idea?

Waluigi, you were previously asking me about what tiles I want to use. My wife has found some at wickes she likes. She saw the ones in the
picture below in a show room, and wants to use the mosaic tiles just on the shower former.

It got me thinking though, it's it easier to use mosaic tiles because they are small and wont need cutting and should take the shape of the former with ease, or are they a pain to get them all laying at the right angle. I'm all for making my life easier when tile this former.

Screenshot_20190216-073338_Samsung Internet.jpg

W

Waluigi

I would think 6mm Hardie would be fine. Keep in mind that Hardiebacker doesn’t like to be screwed near to the edge as it just breaks off. A pilot hol through the board and even a countersink might be necessary.

Mosaic wise- good idea for a wet room former as the tiles naturally follow the slope plus mosaics add a certain amount of non slip to the floor area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to AKW TUFF former and liquid tanking ???? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock