Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss After some advice re career change! Access Training Wales in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all

Basically i'm just after some advice. I'm a 24 year old who's worked in the same office since I was 17. I've come to a stage of my life where I've realised I need to do something with my life and not just work for peanuts in a job I hate!

I've been doing a bit of research and I was wondering what you guys thought of the intensive tile diplomas offered by companies up and down the country? As I said earlier, I'm 24 now and can't really afford to spend 2 years doing it all in college.

I've found a company in Cardiff called Access Training UK. I've read good reviews and bad reviews so I'm going to do a bit more investigation work before signing a cheque for 4k away to them.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Rhodri

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
4,000!!
What do you get for that?
NVQ Level 2?

@deanotile might be the man for this one.

It's a real shame that just the other day I heard Manchester College are closing their tile course department, because of lack of funding, then I hear a private training centre is getting 4k from one student?!

I didn't think it was anywhere near that much personally. But I might be wrong.

Have you rang a few others to see what their prices are? I know you might not be able to get to other places easily, but just to test to see what prices they are?

Access Training Wales used to sponsor one of our forums, but I think it was the sparky one, and I can believe a sparky course costing that much, but not tile.

I'm on the fence.

That all said well done for getting into doing something you want to do.

OP
R

Rkj1927

4,000!!
What do you get for that?
NVQ Level 2?

@deanotile might be the man for this one.

It's a real shame that just the other day I heard Manchester College are closing their tile course department, because of lack of funding, then I hear a private training centre is getting 4k from one student?!

I didn't think it was anywhere near that much personally. But I might be wrong.

Have you rang a few others to see what their prices are? I know you might not be able to get to other places easily, but just to test to see what prices they are?

Access Training Wales used to sponsor one of our forums, but I think it was the sparky one, and I can believe a sparky course costing that much, but not tile.

I'm on the fence.

That all said well done for getting into doing something you want to do.
Thank's for the reply Dan!

That's for a level 2 Diploma. They also run NVQ2 courses, but my understanding was you had to complete the Diploma before moving onto that? That said Cardiff and Vale College only offer level 2 Diploma courses in tile too.

Good idea mate. I'll send a few emails and make a few calls tomorrow and see what sort of prices I get back from other companies.

Cheers
R

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I literally have no clue on what the going rate is. But I didn't think it was that much!

Hats off to anybody paying 4k, and then needing to pay more to get a NVQ, and then managing to buy a van, advertise, practice and gain experience, and manage to pull it off.

OP
O

Old Mod

ÂŁ500 pound a week, ÂŁ100 a day
And u receive a level 2 Diploma, to be honest I'm not up to speed with what u need to get what.
As Dan quite rightly says Deano is the guy who will know.
And I don't want to talk out of turn or persuade you,
But what I do know is that if u were paid ÂŁ80 a day as a Tilers labourer u would get 10 weeks work for free, so if u found the right tiler u'd learn more in those 10 weeks than u would on any 8 week course going!

OP
T

The D

my advice is contact City & Guilds or The CITB and work out the best route of progression for you within the qualification structure. this should give you some idea of the time it will take you to achieve you goal, be aware there is no fast track to experience. companies can exploit loopholes so they can rush you through a qualification and they can mislead you with clever wording about what these courses will actually get you in the way of an industry recognised qualification. but what they can't give you and you can't buy is experience that can only come with time. there is a saying A fool and his money are soon parted. so dont be fooled.

OP
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Hi all

Basically i'm just after some advice. I'm a 24 year old who's worked in the same office since I was 17. I've come to a stage of my life where I've realised I need to do something with my life and not just work for peanuts in a job I hate!

I've been doing a bit of research and I was wondering what you guys thought of the intensive tile diplomas offered by companies up and down the country? As I said earlier, I'm 24 now and can't really afford to spend 2 years doing it all in college.

I've found a company in Cardiff called Access Training UK. I've read good reviews and bad reviews so I'm going to do a bit more investigation work before signing a cheque for 4k away to them.

Cheers
Rhodri
are you mad what are you thinking in the old days parents would pay for there children to work with a master .if you have 4 grand to spare offer to pay a tiler ÂŁ100 a week to work with them thats 40 weeks on the job if your any good you will pic it up and get taken on .if not move on you will learn more in six weeks on site than any coures can teach you in a year

OP
C

Ceirin gibbons

Hi all

Cheers
Rhodri
Hi Rhodri just a quick one I've just came across you're post about access training in Cardiff. I'm looking to do the nvq 2 tile course and wanted to know if you went ahead with it and would like some info as reading mix reviews. Thanks Ceirin

OP
S

SCCB

I'm also interested in how this works out..
I would hope that for 4K you would get one on one tuition.

Reply to After some advice re career change! Access Training Wales in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock